Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default USB OTG help!!

I bought a new Gionee M2. The phone has the capability of charging another device through the micro USB using an OTG cable. But I would like to know if I can connect a flash drive onto my phone using the same OTG cable? I have rooted my phone and tried stick mount and other similar apps. I also tried entering a new XML file android.hardware.host into permission folder. But not detecting the drive or any other device. The "charging another device" feature is working though. Is there any solution?

Global Posts
    7,976 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: USB OTG help!!

I'm not sure if there is, but let me ask around.

Sent From Another Galaxy
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Try using a file explorer like ES File Explorer. If you don't see your USB connected, it might be that your phone's kernel doesn't support USB OTG.
    I am a developer for HTC devices. If you ever need help with one, let me know.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'm using Xplore file explorer. In Storage folder I see 3 folders; sdcard0, sdcard1 and usbotgdrives. But even if I connect a flashdrive, I'm unable to see it in this folder. The stick Mount always show as no device is mounted. Can I do anything with the phone's kernel to support otg?

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by Anston Luiz View Post
    I'm using Xplore file explorer. In Storage folder I see 3 folders; sdcard0, sdcard1 and usbotgdrives. But even if I connect a flashdrive, I'm unable to see it in this folder. The stick Mount always show as no device is mounted. Can I do anything with the phone's kernel to support otg?
    What type of USB stick are you using? Also what cable are you using?

Sent from my One Xl using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm using a SanDisk 8gb pen drive. Connected to a regular otg. Don't know if the cable is faulty as the charging function was working.

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

I'm using a SanDisk 8gb pen drive. Connected to a regular otg. Don't know if the cable is faulty as the charging function was working.
    Does the cable look something like this?

USB OTG help!!-41gqwwmz0fl.jpg
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes. It is. In some DIY, I have seen people grounding the pin 4 with pin 5 on the micro USB end. Will I have to do something like that? The cable i bought was a normal quality one which costs just Rs.60. Or will I have to make any changes in the kernel? Please tell me how to..
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

No help?? Anyways I'll try after getting the official Kitkat update which is to release at the end of this month. The Gionee support had informed me that they might add the otg support in their future updates. I hope something like that would happen.

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Yes. It is. In some DIY, I have seen people grounding the pin 4 with pin 5 on the micro USB end. Will I have to do something like that? The cable i bought was a normal quality one which costs just Rs.60. Or will I have to make any changes in the kernel? Please tell me how to..
    The kernel is usually locked down, so you can't do much.

Try using NTFS mounter instead of stick mount and see if it works.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Global Posts
    4,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    Kitkat

Quote Originally Posted by tdk1988 View Post
    Try using NTFS mounter instead of stick mount and see if it works.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    You gave me an idea.

Along with your suggestion, I remembered ES File Explorer can read external drives. Try that as well.
    Thanked by:

Plz tel me about the smartphone GIONEE P4.

Posted via Android Central App

I bought a new Gionee M2. The phone has the capability of charging another device through the micro USB using an OTG cable. But I would like to know if I can connect a flash drive onto my phone using the same OTG cable? I have rooted my phone and tried stick mount and other similar apps. I also tried entering a new XML file android.hardware.host into permission folder. But not detecting the drive or any other device. The "charging another device" feature is working though. Is there any solution?