Galaxy Nexus not charging -- extra-sized wtf?

brandonsmash

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
It's been a long while since I've regularly visited these fora. I hope I can still find some good info, though.

My GNex has been with me for a couple years and I have no plans to upgrade (mostly because I'm on Verizon, and A) I still have a grandfathered unlimited data plan and B) I'm only interested in the Nexus line of phones and Verizon has crap for support). With that in mind I'm trying to keep the phone going.

A week ago or thereabouts my phone stopped charging. I'd plug it in and get the charging notification in my 4.2 rom but the battery percentage would never increase. I'd also get a charging notification when the phone was disconnected from the charger. Then it started blinking into and out of life as if I were plugging and unplugging the phone from a power source; SnooZy recorded a "change" in power state roughly 15x/min. Hoping this was a software issue I wiped the phone and installed the Paranoid Android 4.4.1 rom. No change.

I cleaned out the charging port, bent the male pin upwards, etc. Nothing helped, so I ordered a new OEM charging port (and did a USB cable hack to at least keep a battery alive, charging it to ~90% every few hours). Today I installed the new charging port (I'm not terribly familiar with cell phone internals, but there are some great guides out there) and booted up the phone. Everything software-wise looks good but when plugged in (to two separate chargers on two separate wall circuits) it indicates that the battery is charging, but the charge percentage keeps decreasing.

Awesome.

Any ideas? Is the motherboard fried on some special level? Should I just buy another i515 off eBay and hope it works, and take this one out into the desert and put 230 grains of lead through it?

Thanks for the help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the late reply. You could try another port to fix it. However, the board just might be ageing. The 230 grains of lead might not be a bad idea. If I may ask, would you be using a .30-06?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non