Battery usage reporting different between two phones?

timberguy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,
I have to galaxy S5 phones that were bought on the same day, have the same SD card installed, etc... I set my wife's phone up exactly as I set mine up (GO Launcher, same location settings, wifi settings, etc...)

Her battery is draining significantly faster than mine, so I wanted to take a closer look and see if she installed something that was chewing it up, but this is where I get a bit confused...

Her phone shows only 4 rows utilizing the battery after a full day of utilization
- Android OS - 85%
- Android System - 5%
- Screen - 3%
- Google Services - 2%

My phone shows much more
- Android System - 25%
- Screen - 15%
- Android OS - 14%
- Google Play - 9% (updated a bunch of apps today)
- Go Luancher - 5%
- Cell Standby - 4%
... etc...

No wifi, no cell standby, no chrome, etc... on her list at all.

I thought that was weird, so I updated a bunch of apps on google play on hers... it still didn't show up on the list.
I picked a game and played it for 10-15 minutes... it still didn't show up on the list
I changed the screen timeout to 6minutes and left an app open... it still didn't show up on the list, and the percentage of screen didn't go up either, while on mine it did.

So I guess a couple of questions:
1) Why would her phone not be showing applications using the battery where mine does?
2) Same exact phone, same setup, same apps, etc... why is her #1 consume the "Android OS" while that is 3rd on mine?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You can compare the two more by touching the grey battery 'time on' graph, and touching the Android OS line. The GSam battery app is even more detailed.
Something is holding her OS in a loop.

Have a look in the Google Account settings with master sync on. Try unchecking all the Google sync options, or leaving Calendar, contacts and Gmail on. It may be a Google photos / Picasa syncing problem.

Your own phone is normal!

timberguy

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Madd54,
I'll check the sync options on her phone, thanks.

Is there any reason it wouldn't show apps on the battery screen at all though? For a quick test I had her play a game for a good 20-30 minutes, and it still didn't show up on the battery list. Even if something is going on with the OS chewing up a bunch of battery, it should still show the utilization by another app, right? Very weird to me. I'll take a look at the GSam too, I've not had any issues with mine so never had to muck with battery utilization much.

We'll see what I find soon! :)