Samsung Tab S locks suddenly on tilt or bump - intentional or broken?

billcash3

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
When I am using my Tab S on a stand, if I grab the right edge or tilt the product in certain ways, it automatically locks up -- taking me to the lock screen and requiring a fingerprint all over again. It feels like this is some kind of accelerometer- or magnet-based system designed to serve as a feature (like, "closing the cover locks the device"). The problem is, it's not wanted, and so I have to be extra careful not to touch the tablet at times or else I have to log in again. Sometimes it's impossible to put my finger in the right position to unlock the tablet without re-tilting it, sending me into this mad game of unlock, unlock, unlock again.

I went through alllll the settings and can't find anything. Nor do I see this online. Any ideas??? Thanks very much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When it goes to the lockscreen, is it a smooth transition, or does the screen zap out, then reappear again in the lockscreen? If it zaps out, I would wonder if there is some loose or defective connection that causes the power button to briefly engage when you hold the tablet that way.

A possible workaround (if the menu is available on the Tab S) is to go to Settings>Security, and uncheck "Power button instantly locks." This is on my Nexus 5--not sure if it's on your device.

billcash3

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It does "zap out," and the behavior varies directly on whether I'm set on fingerprint, swipe, no lock at all, etc. Yes, the Tab S does have the same "Power button instantly locks" feature. With that unchecked I get it turning on and off but not locking.

It's very maddening. I could not live with it so I've decided to just ship this back and try another unit. If the next one fails, I'll be back..........

Bill

billcash3

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
In case anybody wants the stunning conclusion to this story, I got a replacement tablet overnight from Amazon. The new tablet does the same thing, but seems to be less sensitive.

Then I realized that the problem occurs whenever a certain part of my tablet's foldable fake leather case passes over a certain part of the tablet. The reason I think it happens when "bumped" is that when the case is folded into a stand, the configuration of the case can jostle a little. I think the case might be slightly magnetic and the tablet must respond to that somehow. I didn't see this anywhere in the manual or online and could have saved all the hassle had I been aware. I have to replace the case since this continues to be really annoying.

Good luck, guys. Other than this, it's a great tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There you go. Almost all tablets have a smartcover feature, which is a magnetic sensor on one of the edges (typically the left edge if held in portrait mode) that will detect if a magnet (typically embedded in a case's cover) is nearby. If the magnet in the cover is detected, it knows the cover is closed, so it puts the screen to sleep. If the magnet is no longer detected in close proximity, it knows the cover has opened, and the screen awakens. Some case manufacturers put magnets that are too strong, so if you fold the cover back on the tablet, the magnet will still be detected by the sensor, and therefore turn the screen off.