Google (Android) photos delete everywhere - only want local delete

Glenn Nelson

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Moto X with KitKat (of course). Standard Google Photos app is set to automatically upload to Google+, full size (just heard we are getting upgraded to 2 TB, so no worries!). I would like to delete some photos from my phone, but not my G+ account. But if I delete from phone using Photos app, it asks if I want to "delete everywhere". This is not an option - either yes, or cancel (do not delete anywhere).

So I can use other photo (and file) managers, such as QuickPic or Astro, but is there anyway to use Google Photos to just delete locally?

And suppose I went to G+ and moved a photo to an album. If I then delete on the phone, will Google still hunt it down and kill it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you use the stock Gallery app, instead of the Photos app? I think the Gallery app doesn't allow you to delete a cloud photo anyway, so I think it would only delete locally. Maybe take a test photo that you don't mind losing, and try it out.

Glenn Nelson

May 26, 2013
Visit site
You're right, the stock Gallery app will not delete the G+ cloud photos. I had forgotten that Gallery even existed. It's simpler to use than Quick Pic. So I'll try to use it in the future if my intent is to leave photos in the cloud. I wish Google would give us more options for Photos app.

opg4759

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
To delete from the device with the new Photos App go to the navigation menu select --> On Device (you may have to scroll) then delete to your hearts content without worrying about deleting your backups.

ywatanabe

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
perfect, thank for that info!
now what if I want to do the exact opposite?
(delete only from G+ and not my device)

Also I recently lost my phone and luckily for G+ all my photos were safe!
I've been downloading some of my favorite photos from G+ onto my phone, and I guess photos app doesn't recognize its the same photo and it shows up twice. I'm not sure how to mitigate this, any help maybe?

Thanks in advance

RJ-Dallas

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I am having the same issue, but vise versa. My photos are uploaded to Google+ photos, and when I try to delete the picture/videos I do not want "backed up" it will delete the original file out of my devise.
Is there anyway to "turn off" this option on Google+ photos?
There are just some items I do not want to be backed up. I figure I should have the option to pick and choose what I want to be backed up without deleting every existence of the picture/video ever being taken.

please advise,
RJ-Dallas

Duhckey

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
Delete photos or videos from...

Just your device

Clear space on your device but keep your photos and videos saved in Google+.

Open the Photos app .
Touch the menu icon at the top left > On Device.
Touch and hold the photo or video you want to delete > trash icon .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just your Google+ account

Keep your photos and videos saved on your device, but delete them from your online account.

Open the Photos app .
Touch the menu icon at the top left and then Photos.
Touch the magnifying glass icon at the top.
Type "#AutoBackup" in the search box
Touch the magnifying glass icon at the bottom right of the keyboard.
Touch and hold the photo or video you want to delete > trash icon .
Tip: It's easier to do this is on a computer. Learn how

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everywhere

Delete a photo or video from your device and from your Google+ account. If you delete a photo this way, you'll no longer see it in your Gallery, the Photos app , or your Google+ account.

Open the Photos app .
Touch the menu icon at the top left > Photos.
Touch the photo or video you want to delete > trash icon .
Tip: Delete multiple or all
Multiple: touch and hold a photo thumbnail until a check mark appears on it. Touch the other photos you want to delete > trash icon .
Delete all your photos from Google+: the easiest way to delete your photos from Google+ is on a computer. Learn how (Note: Deleting photos using your computer won't delete them from your device's local storage.)

:):):):):):)

Magnus Kock

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
I want to delete photos from google+ as i never accepted it to and dont want my photos there. But no matter what, if i delete the picture in google photos, it deletes it on my device too. Even though i did what you wrote. The app is forcing me to delete from everywhere, i dont have any other option than delete everywhere or cancel

AmyPf

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
When I do as advised and select then delete using the photos app, I get a blank gray square in Google+ photos where the deleted photos once were. So that's not working for me. What am I doing wrong?

glazedfaith

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
But no matter what, if i delete the picture in google photos, it deletes it on my device too.

The simplest option would be to use a file manager to create a copy of all your photos in a different folder on your device, or to move them to your PC before deleting them from Google Photos and then disabling the app or, at the very least, the backup feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796