Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google (Android) photos delete everywhere - only want local delete

Moto X with KitKat (of course). Standard Google Photos app is set to automatically upload to Google+, full size (just heard we are getting upgraded to 2 TB, so no worries!). I would like to delete some photos from my phone, but not my G+ account. But if I delete from phone using Photos app, it asks if I want to "delete everywhere". This is not an option - either yes, or cancel (do not delete anywhere).

So I can use other photo (and file) managers, such as QuickPic or Astro, but is there anyway to use Google Photos to just delete locally?

And suppose I went to G+ and moved a photo to an album. If I then delete on the phone, will Google still hunt it down and kill it?

Default Re: Google (Android) photos delete everywhere - only want local delete

Welcome to Android Central! What happens if you use the stock Gallery app, instead of the Photos app? I think the Gallery app doesn't allow you to delete a cloud photo anyway, so I think it would only delete locally. Maybe take a test photo that you don't mind losing, and try it out.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You're right, the stock Gallery app will not delete the G+ cloud photos. I had forgotten that Gallery even existed. It's simpler to use than Quick Pic. So I'll try to use it in the future if my intent is to leave photos in the cloud. I wish Google would give us more options for Photos app.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

To delete from the device with the new Photos App go to the navigation menu select --> On Device (you may have to scroll) then delete to your hearts content without worrying about deleting your backups.

ROM
    completely stock

Cool Re: Google (Android) photos delete everywhere - only want local delete

perfect, thank for that info!
    now what if I want to do the exact opposite?
    (delete only from G+ and not my device)

Also I recently lost my phone and luckily for G+ all my photos were safe!
    I've been downloading some of my favorite photos from G+ onto my phone, and I guess photos app doesn't recognize its the same photo and it shows up twice. I'm not sure how to mitigate this, any help maybe?

Thanks in advance

Hello,
    I am having the same issue, but vise versa. My photos are uploaded to Google+ photos, and when I try to delete the picture/videos I do not want "backed up" it will delete the original file out of my devise.
    Is there anyway to "turn off" this option on Google+ photos?
    There are just some items I do not want to be backed up. I figure I should have the option to pick and choose what I want to be backed up without deleting every existence of the picture/video ever being taken.

please advise,
    RJ-Dallas