I want to get my photo's from a S3 that will not turn on.

Liddyanna

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, I know this is probably on the thread before but I could not find an answer to my issue. Please guide me to the thread is the answer is there! :)

I had the Samsung GS3 since Jan of last year. I recently changed to the S5, so I stopped using it. But last week I tried turning it on, it will not go past the Samsung sign, so it's just glowing blue on the top left of the phone and on the screen it's glowing Samsung. It heats up really quickly, after about 5 minutes of it being on it's on fire.

I've tried the Power + Home + Volume up:
*reboot system now
*wipe cache partition
*apply update from cache
None of these have worked. I do not want to try the wipe data/factory reset option as I do not want to lose my photo's videos etc. It's the reason I am trying to get into my phone. The update ADB and external storage - I'm not technical enough to try them out.

I've tried the Power + Home + Vol Down. Stayed in the downloading stage for 6 hours and it was so hot I was afraid and turned it off.

My phone is sort of recognised on my laptop. The laptop goes 'boop-beep' when I hook it up, but I do not see it in my computer. When I open Samsung Kies it says 'Connecting' for ages and when it stops, it says "This device is not supported by Kies. Please make sure that your device is supported and try again." I tried troubleshooting the connection. But nothing.

I also tried on my Samsung account out of desperation to try and find my phone so I could unlock it. Which obviously didn't work since my phone doesn't turn on.

My S3 is the GT-I9300, do not know what version I am on, and I do have a crack on my screen but it never affected the usage, it stayed perfect.I'm just wondering if I am missing a trick here. If there's something else I can try as I really don't wanna send it in to Samsung and be charged an arm and a leg just to get photos from a phone that is no longer my primary one.

Any help will be really appreciated! ;)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There could be a problem with the battery or the SD card. If the battery is failing, it could overheat and cause other problems. Take it out, place it flat on a table, and try to spin it. If it spins freely, it's bulging in the middle, which is a bad sign. But even if it doesn't spin, it's worth trying a new battery.

If the SD card is corrupt, it could also cause problems. Try powering off, removing the SD card, then powering back on again.

By the way, are the photos stored in Internal Storage or on the external SD card?

Liddyanna

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,

I tried spinning it, it doesn't spin freely. So there is no bulge thankfully. I'll give the swapping batteries a try and let you know how I get on.

Unfortunately I didn't have an SD card for this phone until near the end of my usage with it, so majority of my photo's are stored in the Internal Storage.

I've heard of swapping the motherboard to get data, would this be an effective method? More importantly how safe is this to do, as I do not want to damage another phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The internal storage is on the motherboard. If the problem is on the motherboard (it most likely is), swapping that motherboard into a different phone will give you a non-working phone, and swapping a working motherboard into your phone will give you th pictures on that motherboard, not yours.

This is why the old (older than computers with hard drives) - any data not backed up is data you don't need. I suggest backing up to ad least 2 independent destinations - your computer and a cloud account. ("Having too many backups" is like "having too much money" - meaningless words.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87