Which Cloud storage service would be the right choice for me?

A

AC Question

Hi! There are so many cloud services out there, but it's difficult for me to pick the right one.

I travel a lot, and keep most of my data that I want to be backed up on my external hard drive. I would like the cloud service to come with the software which would let sync certain folders to the cloud from that external hard drive. Such a software should also monitor all of the changes I make in those folders, and follow the changes.

On the occasional basis, I would like to be able to share a file or two from that cloud.

When I install a new windows, I would like that software not to archive my computer with the external drive, but to recognize my old external drive and keep it running/syncing, etc.

The space I need is about 150GB and it's rising at the speed of 30GB per year.

Option, I would really enjoy, although I don't think it's possible, would be to share a folder with my parent's and let them sync it to their computer with read-only access.

If you guys could recommend something, I would be really grateful.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I travel a lot, and keep most of my data that I want to be backed up on my external hard drive. I would like the cloud service to come with the software which would let sync certain folders to the cloud from that external hard drive.
The drive would have to be connected to a computer that had internet access. Drives themselves can't sync to cloud accounts.

Such a software should also monitor all of the changes I make in those folders, and follow the changes.
Most cloud sync software does.

On the occasional basis, I would like to be able to share a file or two from that cloud.
Same thing - you can with most cloud accounts.

When I install a new windows, I would like that software not to archive my computer with the external drive, but to recognize my old external drive and keep it running/syncing, etc.
If the old external drive is the only thing being synced, it will. You can set what gets synced.

The space I need is about 150GB and it's rising at the speed of 30GB per year.
Different cloud providers charge different amounts at different times - and the prices keep dropping.

Option, I would really enjoy, although I don't think it's possible, would be to share a folder with my parent's and let them sync it to their computer with read-only access.
There may be a cloud account that allows one-way sync, but most that I'm familiar with are two-way - any change made to the cloud account is synced to the drive, and any change made to the drive is made to the cloud account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hulkjr77