Facebook Continues To Populate Contacts To Phonebook!

Therese Young

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello! I am going crazy here! I have had a Note 3 since February and never had this problem. I do not have anything selected anywhere for Facebook to send its contacts to my contacts in my phone, now, suddenly, Facebook has over 500 contacts staring me in the face every time I open my contact list o_O!!! Can someone stop this crazy thing??? I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the Facebook app and the contacts went away only to reappear the next day ...

Therese Young

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi, Golfdriver97/B. Diddy, see that's just it. Nothing is selected nor does it show up in my contacts as being selected not in my settings for my phone, not even in my Facebook app as being allowed to do such a thing. I don't know if I have virus or a ghost in the machine or what!! This is nuts. If I have to totally wipe my phone, I'm going to be pissed!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, so the contacts disappear when you delete the app...it is probably part of the permissions to populate your contacts. If that is the case, I don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

Sent from an AOSP M8

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Open Facebook, tap Menu, and go to the App Settings. Is there an option there to sync contacts? Or in the People/Contacts app, when you tap Menu, have checked every setting for the app to see if there is something about syncing contacts from other accounts like Facebook and LinkedIn?

Therese Young

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
*Update*
I've actually been to the Google Play Store and pulled up the Facebook App to see what and if others had the same issue. Numerous and I mean numerous complaints about this same situation are popping up starting around the same time I started having this problem so it's not a phone issue but unfortunately an app issue. I'm hoping that Facebook will either address this soon or it will begin to lose people because there has been so much weirdness surrounding this app lately. I mean the total invasion of privacy, etc. is beginning to be totally absurd and the way it controls things on your phone it acts like a bot or malware perhaps? I'm going to try deleting each unwanted over 500 contacts one by one smh....but I thank you for the help guys. Btw, sync is NOT , I repeat, NOT selected in Facebook in my Facebook app. That's what makes this even worse, I don't have any choice in the matter. I have NOT selected that I want my Facebook contacts synchronized with my phone book because I don't want all of those people, many of whom I don't associate with at all, to be staring me in the face every time I open my contacts list. Yet, Facebook chose to do this anyway, so it seems, according to the numerous complaints at the app store. Go fig..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
*Update*
I've actually been to the Google Play Store and pulled up the Facebook App to see what and if others had the same issue. Numerous and I mean numerous complaints about this same situation are popping up starting around the same time I started having this problem so it's not a phone issue but unfortunately an app issue. I'm hoping that Facebook will either address this soon or it will begin to lose people because there has been so much weirdness surrounding this app lately. I mean the total invasion of privacy, etc. is beginning to be totally absurd and the way it controls things on your phone it acts like a bot or malware perhaps? I'm going to try deleting each unwanted over 500 contacts one by one smh....but I thank you for the help guys. Btw, sync is NOT , I repeat, NOT selected in Facebook in my Facebook app. That's what makes this even worse, I don't have any choice in the matter. I have NOT selected that I want my Facebook contacts synchronized with my phone book because I don't want all of those people, many of whom I don't associate with at all, to be staring me in the face every time I open my contacts list. Yet, Facebook chose to do this anyway, so it seems, according to the numerous complaints at the app store. Go fig..
Sorry I wasn't too much help... I dont use Facebook a lot. So little that I disable the app.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessfviz