What in my phone keeps asking me for information?

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Something in my phone keeps asking for information

(MotoG, Nova Launcher.)

If I know how to do a screen shot, I would submit it and that would probably explain everything so I will attempt to describe it:

I neglected to write down the notification but it had something to do with Google Assist. Now that I have it on the screen, there are three things listed.

The section for Recent Location Requests shows (Android symbol) LocationServices, and (Some green square) ModemStateService. Both are subtitled "Low Battery Use".

Below that in a section called Location Services is listed and under that is (Google Symbol) "Google Location repor"

At the top it says "Location next to a gear and to the right the slider is OFF.

I am not about to turn it on unless I know what is going to transpire.

Who wants to know what?
Why does it keep asking me to turn it on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Something in my phone keeps asking for information

That's your Location Services screen. If you want the phone to access your location (via GPS or wi-fi/mobile data), you need to turn it on. There is a standard caution that pops up letting you know that it will send anonymous location data to Google. This is not unusual. If you want your device to be aware of location, agree to it. If you're worried about it (which you shouldn't be), then don't turn on location services, but don't expect the phone to give you location specific information about where you are.

To take a screenshot, press and hold Power and Vol Down together for about half a second. To post a screenshot: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

If you want your device to be aware of location, agree to it. If you're worried about it (which you shouldn't be), then don't turn on location services, but don't expect the phone to give you location specific information about where you are.

Since I never use those options, are you suggesting that if I leave it off that I will continue to be badgered by these reminders? Is there no way to turn them off? I never use any internet service on my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If you turn off Location Services, you won't get the reminders as long as you don't use any app that uses Location Services. But if you were to open Google Maps and then try to navigate or locate where you are, it will remind you that Location Services is off, and ask if you want to turn it on. You can tap Ignore if you want, but then those functions won't work, and it will keep remind you if you try to do it again.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

Since I am not consciously trying to use any app, apparently something is triggering automatically.
Can this be terminated?

Is there a way to create a note in m phone to explain how to do a screen shot?
Two days from now, I wont remember.
Maybe I can create a list of options that I rarely use.

Here is my screen shot.
Screenshot_2014-10-29-23-05-13.png

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If you look at the permissions that the apps you have installed need (Application manager lists them if you scroll down after choosing an app), one or more of them may require locations permission. Using that app, even though you don't think it needs location service, will trigger the message.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This might not work, but long-press that notification and see if you get an App Info option. Maybe it will tell you which app is responsible for the notification.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

That works for notifications, but I don't think it works for toasts, and that sounds like what he's getting. I've never gotten a notification about location services, just toasts.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

That works for notifications, but I don't think it works for toasts, and that sounds like what he's getting. I've never gotten a notification about location services, just toasts.

Is that toast as in "I propose a..." or is it buttered wry toast?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

It's a popup, Android style (black with a white message), as opposed to a notification, which you get when you pull the notification bar down. Those you can long=press to see what app is sending them. So I suppose it's the first kind, as in "I propose ... that you have a problem with some app".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty