Should I buy LG Tone Pro (HBS-750)?

Mayoo614

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

First, search for the next "TLDR" if you only want to answer the damn question ;).

I am currently juggling between many choices for a pair of bluetooth earbuds. I wanted to ask the question here to make sure I have the latest and honest comments from the best in this tech world *pat pat*.

My choice ended on the LG HBS-750. They seem to offer great battery, decent audio quality and the price is interesting too. But, I hear everywhere that their mic is cutting out of nowhere. I was previous looking at Jaybirds. Not the same price bracket but their minimalist design was tempting me. I also jumped from Motos to Plantronics to anything since I can't find a single best model.

My usage will be fairly simple. I work in IT and listen to music often to help concentrate. I either stream from my laptop or my cell phone. I don't make that much calls with my cell phone but I maybe wanted to use them when in conference (via computer).

Question is (TLDR, skip here): Which model is best for my needs (see below)? Is the LG Tone Pro (HBS-750) a good choice?

My needs:
  • Easy multiple device switching/pairing (2)
  • Decent sound quality
  • 8h min. music streaming
  • Compact and lightweight
  • Not too pricey
  • (Bonus++) Pairing with computer as headset
  • (Bonus+) Use with Google Now/Search
  • (Bonus+) Microphone quality
  • (Bonus) How about a coffee?

Used for:
  • Music
  • (Bonus++) Conference calls via computer
  • (Bonus) Calls

Used with:
  • Nexus 5
  • Nexus 10
  • (Bonus++) Work laptop (via usb bluetooth dongle)
  • (Bonus) Home computer

Thank you.

Last edited:

cobb_cruiser

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've had the headset now for about 3 weeks and have had no problems. People are able to hear me fine and no one has ever reported the mic ever cutting out. The sounds quality is the best of any BT earpiece I've ever used - this is the first "stereo" BT headset I've used though. But I am completely satisfied.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My choice ended on the LG HBS-750. They seem to offer great battery, decent audio quality and the price is interesting too. But, I hear everywhere that their mic is cutting out of nowhere.
Mic or connection? If the phone is in your left pocket and the earbud is in your right ear, the signal has to go through your body. With a Class 3 device (an earbud, for example) that's at about the extreme limit of useability. Move the phone to your right pocket (or the earbud to your left ear) and that 90% signal loss through your body disappears.

I also jumped from Motos to Plantronics to anything since I can't find a single best model.
I have both a Jabra (in-ear) and a Motorola (on-ear) and like them both.

Question is (TLDR, skip here): Which model is best for my needs (see below)? Is the LG Tone Pro (HBS-750) a good choice?

My needs:Easy multiple device switching/pairing (2)
Just about any BT device. Pairing is simple but you can't be connected to both the phone and laptop at the same time (one of them has to have BT off) except for the few multi-pairing ones (Motorola makes at least one). Pairing is as simple as setting the earbud to be discovered (how depends on the namufacturer, but it's usually pushing a button) and letting the phone or laptop discover it. Once it's paired, turning on BT on the phone or laptop, and turning on the earbud, connects them.

Decent sound quality
In a BT earbud? The cheapest (and I mean like from the dollar store) wired earbuds are probably better. For real music quality in BT you need a BT headset - the full thing, earphones, headband, mic boom. Expensive. (I had a pair that cost about $120 about 6 years ago. Once the battery went, it didn't pay to have it replaced.)

8h min. music streaming
My H-720 runs about that long on a full charge.

Compact and lightweight
See above.

Not too pricey
I got it for about $30 on sale at Walmart. (It was $30 on their site, about twice that much in the store - the store matched the site price.)

(Bonus++) Pairing with computer as headset
If the computer has a headset profile in its Bluetooth stack. Any BT headset will do it, it depends on the computer.

(Bonus+) Use with Google Now/Search
Depends on the phone. My Note 3 works with BT on search and Now.

(Bonus+) Microphone quality
Most BT headsets have no problem except with wind or background noise. (Drive in a rush hour in a tunnel with the window open and it acts like a conference mic.)

The best bet would be to find one that's comfortable (wearing the Jabra in my ear for 8 hours solid would become painful - the Motorola is hardly noticeable, but it sits on the ear and the air space between the earphone and my ear canal kills a bit of the volume), make sure there's a decent return policy (Walmart's is 15 days) and try it. What's great for me may be terrible for you and vice-versa. Amazon is good, Walmart is close. (I buy from both, depending on who has what for how much, and whether I'm willing to wait for it.)

Safarinate

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't have bought the one for my wife had i known i would have to listen to her scream about the mic cutting out all the time.. shes demanding i get my money back.. now reading all over about this issue and LG no give a **** attitude... your choice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699