Why can't I move anything to my Kingston 64 gb micro sd card (not music not pics nothing)?

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I cannot move anything to my Kingston 64 gb micro sd card. not music not pics nothing. please help.

Have note 4 but cannot use the SD card. What am I not doing. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I cannot move anything to my Kingston 64 gb micro sd card. not music not pics nothing. please he

Put the card into a card reader and plug it into your computer. Does the computer see it? If not, run Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management and see if it's there. If it is, it's going to show as not formatted. Format it as exFAT.

If it shows in the computer, there's a problem in the phone.

If it doesn't show in Disk Management, the card is bad.

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: I cannot move anything to my Kingston 64 gb micro sd card. not music not pics nothing. please he

Also what file explorer are you using? I suggest es file explorer. It works for me.

Posted via Moto G(2013) from the Android Central App

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi and thanks for replying. If I go into setting > storage, I can see it is there, it shows total space 62.50 GB and Available space 62.48. I wanted the camera to save to the SD card but it won't. As for moving pictures from the camera folder to the SD card I am not sure how to do it with es file explorer, which I do have on the phone now. If perhaps you could explain that for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi and thanks for replying. If I go into setting > storage, I can see it is there, it shows total space 62.50 GB and Available space 62.48. I wanted the camera to save to the SD card but it won't. As for moving pictures from the camera folder to the SD card I am not sure how to do it with es file explorer, which I do have on the phone now. If perhaps you could explain that for me I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

If the SD card is reading then obviously no problem with the card. In es file explorer home screen tap the three dashes at the top left corner,click local and you will see a symbol on which SD is written that is ur SD card. If you tap on that you will see the contents if ur SD card(if any). Now u just have to navigate to the folder on ur phone where u have stored ur photos tap and hold that folder. U will see a tick next to it. Then clock on more at the bottom right. Select copy to and if u see the contents of ur phone then click on back at the top left of the box. Click on ur SD card and store it wherever u want. Hope I could be of help!

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

And if u wanna make that SD card the default then u shud go to the camera app. Click on settings and scroll down. The second last option shud be storage click on that and choose ur SD card

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Thank you I have tried, it says copy to>/storage/extsdcard. Now it says " Your system forbids ES from writing on external SD card. check ( a google link, this site won't let me send links yet, not enough posts.) so ES can only write on it after rooted. Iv'e heard of rooting but don't know what it means or how to do it. I followed the link but couldn't make any sense of it.
Leaving out the https. the link is "code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=67570"

Last edited:

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to android authority(or Android for that matter) coz u sound like ur new to android. First are u running android KitKat? And did u download es from the play store because u need the latest version of es(there was a bug in their app which prevented KitKat users from writing on any external storage but its fixed in their latest update. I myself faced this problem). And FYI root is basically unlocking the restrictions given by Google's android so that u can't access the main os files and folders. After rooting u can download apps which will let u unleash the full power of ur phone (metaphorically and literally). After rooting u can over clock ur CPU which means that it ur processor will run faster than its limit. The limit is set by the manufacturers so that ur phone doesn't overheat. So yeah if u over clock ur phones gonna overheat but perform better. There are advantages and a disadvantage of rooting. An example of advantage Is what I just told u. Disadvantage is that it warranty will void. If its out of warranty then what have u to fear go ahead root. After rooting u can also get ur warranty back by flashing stock rom. Ull find the explanation of what I'm saying if u google it. Just type how to backup and flash stock ROM. Hope I helped. Check the version of es browser ur using and tell me. The latest(which I'm using)is 3.2.3.1

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Here is a screen shot

Attachments

• 2160.jpg
    2160.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 38

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

Hi, Yes I am new to Android always had Iphones previously. I am in England and my version is 4.4.4. Is that KitKat? My version of ES is 3.2.3.1 Screenshot_2014-12-28-15-30-17[1].jpg

Last edited:

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

You can try to format the SD card through ur PC and try again. Then there's the root option. Once u root ur phone I can guide u from there. Just google how to root(ur phone name and model). But as u r new to android ur phone I also probably new so its better not to do this. What phone do u have coz if u have any Samsung phone then try using the stock browser. Search for "my files".

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

First tell me what phone u have and what version of android are u running. To check ur android version go to settings scroll to the absolute bottom and at the end u will see about phone tap on that there u will see android version. (Fun fact- If u repeatedly tap on android version u will see an animation of ur android version )

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Here's kikat animation

Attachments

• 2165.jpg
    2165.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2161.jpg
    2161.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 2163.jpg
    2163.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2164.jpg
    2164.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 35

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The problem is that, as of 4.4 (KitKat), the SD card is no longer treated as free for everyone. If an app either doesn't own the folder it's writing to, or belong to the group that owns it, it can't write to it - the same as has always been with internal storage (and alwways with Linux, which is the operating system underneath Linux). It has nothing to do with rooting directly, and overclocking depends on the kernel you're running - the stock kernel can't be overclocked in most phones (which also has nothing to do with your problem).

If you can set the camera app to save to the SD card (you can be using any camera app - some have user-settable storage location, some don't), and it won't save to the SD card, one solution is to root the ROM (check the forum section for your phone for the appropriate method. If in Setting/General/About device/Kernel, the kernel date is prior to June 3, 2014, just installing Towel Root and running it will root the ROM) and install and run NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root). That will allow the camera app to write to the SD card. (It puts the SD card into the media goupp, of wich the camera is a member.)

Once the camera is set up to save where you want, connect the phone to a PC. Open the phone (in the PC) and you'll see Card and Phone. Copy all the pictures in Phone/DCIM (which stands for Digital Camera IMages - it's an industry standard for the name of the folder the camera saves into)/Camera (a subfolder in DCIM) and paste them into Card/DCIM/Camera. When the paste is successful (check at least a few of the pictures), go back to the Phone's DCIM/Camera folder and delete all the pictures. (First, you don't need to be taking up valuable internal space with duplicates and second, apps like Gallery will show both pictures, the one in the phone and the one in the card.) You can do this in a PC because Windows and/or MacOS don't care about Linux's "rights" in folders. To them, these are just drives with folders that can be written to. (If you're using a Linux computer [just to be complete and in case someone new to Android is using this thread as a reference], you have to run cp [the Linux copy commmand] under su, so it has root rights. BTW, if you get familiar with Linux, you could solve your problem the same way by running a terminal and running su cp /<path to DCIM>/DCIM/Camera <path to SD card>)

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I was gonna say that KitKat does not have permission to write to SD card but I was thinking that he might be on jb.

Toxixtech

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

I have a Galaxy note 4 I bought it last week. It is version 4.4.4. Having paid £600 for it I am reluctant to do anything that cannot be undone. I can't understand the point of having SD cards if one cannot write to them to store pictures and music, I feel that I have been cheated. I could have bought a 32 GB Iphone for that. I only chose the Note 4 because of the SD card. BTW I did manage to format it in the phone but still cannot transfer anything with ES or B1

Ankit Jose

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

Don't worry google is going to fix this in android l which u will probably receive next month!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45