Solved Downloaded image saved to sd card download folder won't appear in gallery unless I restart.

herlyks

Feb 27, 2024
Visit site
First thing first, sorry if my english is not that good. It's not my main language.

Okay, so, my phone is Vivo Y16. It's android 12. I bought it last year. I don't remember what month or day, I just remember that at the time I need to buy new phone ASAP because my then current one is having problems and I need my phone for work.

My problem is, whenever I download a new image and save it in sd card, the image won't show in gallery. I downloaded the image using chrome btw.

The first time I recognize this problem was actually the day I bought the phone. After I come home from the store I bought the phone from, I plugged it into my laptop and transfer an image to my sd card > download folder to use as wallpaper. After that when I open the gallery (it's called "Album" in my phone) the image won't show. Then I use the file manager and look at the sd card > download folder. The image is clearly there. I can see it. I can open it. But for some reason it won't appear in gallery. Then I change my mind about using that image as my wallpaper because it's kinda bleak and it's the same image as my laptop wallpaper so I don't want to get bored looking at it. So I used the phone's stock wallpaper instead and think nothing about the gallery problem.

A few month pass by, and for some reason I need to look at my gallery. Then, there is that image. It shows in the gallery. I was like, how? Why? I don't understand at all.

Then today I downloaded some new images for a reference for my novel writing. I saved the image in sd card > download folder. But when I look at the gallery, the image won't show. I used the file manager again and check the folder. The image is there. I can see it. I can open it.

So I did an experiment. And this is what I got. Image taken from my camera and saved in sd card > DCIM > camera shows in gallery just fine. Image downloaded using chrome and saved to internal storage > download also shows just fine in gallery. But, image downloaded using chrome and saved to sd card > download won't show in gallery. I checked using file manager and it's clearly there. I tried deleting the gallery's cache but it didn't work. The image still won't show. Then I restarted my phone and finally the image shows in gallery.

I did these experiment one more time just to make sure. And the result is the same. Image downloaded to sd card > download folder won't show in gallery unless I restarted the phone.

Why is this? I don't want to keep restarting my phone after every image download. I thought maybe updating the gallery app will fix the issue but I don't know how to update it. It's a stock app not the ones downloaded from playstore.

So, my question, is there a way to fix this permanently? Also, just curious, what is actually causing this?

Last edited:

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm bored with time on my hands so I've also done a little test.

I don't use my SD card to save downloaded images - or pix for that matter - and so I changed the setting for these to be saved to the SD card instead and downloaded an image (for reference I never use the stock (Samsung) gallery app as I have everything synced and backed up to Google Photos and view/ edit everything from there and then delete from the phone anything I don't want afterwards).

Having downloading the image to the SD it also didn't show in the gallery app but was found in the file manager. Following you I then restarted the phone and, hey, there was the image in the gallery!

I then repeated downloading another image to the SD. I used my file manager to move it to a folder (your choice which) in internal storage and this time it showed in the gallery app as normal so you won't have to restart your phone.

Others more knowledgeable than me may have an explanation as to why this happens.

herlyks

Feb 27, 2024
Visit site
Okay, I'm bored with time on my hands so I've also done a little test.

I don't use my SD card to save downloaded images - or pix for that matter - and so I changed the setting for these to be saved to the SD card instead and downloaded an image (for reference I never use the stock (Samsung) gallery app as I have everything synced and backed up to Google Photos and view/ edit everything from there and then delete from the phone anything I don't want afterwards).

Having downloading the image to the SD it also didn't show in the gallery app but was found in the file manager. Following you I then restarted the phone and, hey, there was the image in the gallery!

I then repeated downloading another image to the SD. I used my file manager to move it to a folder (your choice which) in internal storage and this time it showed in the gallery app as normal so you won't have to restart your phone.

Others more knowledgeable than me may have an explanation as to why this happens.
I just tried your method. Moving the image to internal storage definitely work. But I don't want to store the images there. I want to keep it in sd card.

You may have to force the media scanner to do a rescan. This app might help: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.house.noranuko.mediarescanner&hl=en_US&gl=US
I just tried this app. It works. Thank you.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
First thing first, sorry if my english is not that good. It's not my main language.

Okay, so, my phone is Vivo Y16. It's android 12. I bought it last year. I don't remember what month or day, I just remember that at the time I need to buy new phone ASAP because my then current one is having problems and I need my phone for work.

My problem is, whenever I download a new image and save it in sd card, the image won't show in gallery. I downloaded the image using chrome btw.

The first time I recognize this problem was actually the day I bought the phone. After I come home from the store I bought the phone from, I plugged it into my laptop and transfer an image to my sd card > download folder to use as wallpaper. After that when I open the gallery (it's called "Album" in my phone) the image won't show. Then I use the file manager and look at the sd card > download folder. The image is clearly there. I can see it. I can open it. But for some reason it won't appear in gallery. Then I change my mind about using that image as my wallpaper because it's kinda bleak and it's the same image as my laptop wallpaper so I don't want to get bored looking at it. So I used the phone's stock wallpaper instead and think nothing about the gallery problem.

A few month pass by, and for some reason I need to look at my gallery. Then, there is that image. It shows in the gallery. I was like, how? Why? I don't understand at all.

Then today I downloaded some new images for a reference for my novel writing. I saved the image in sd card > download folder. But when I look at the gallery, the image won't show. I used the file manager again and check the folder. The image is there. I can see it. I can open it.

So I did an experiment. And this is what I got. Image taken from my camera and saved in sd card > DCIM > camera shows in gallery just fine. Image downloaded using chrome and saved to internal storage > download also shows just fine in gallery. But, image downloaded using chrome and saved to sd card > download won't show in gallery. I checked using file manager and it's clearly there. I tried deleting the gallery's cache but it didn't work. The image still won't show. Then I restarted my phone and finally the image shows in gallery.

I did these experiment one more time just to make sure. And the result is the same. Image downloaded to sd card > download folder won't show in gallery unless I restarted the phone.

Why is this? I don't want to keep restarting my phone after every image download. I thought maybe updating the gallery app will fix the issue but I don't know how to update it. It's a stock app not the ones downloaded from playstore.

So, my question, is there a way to fix this permanently? Also, just curious, what is actually causing this?
Just came to say hello and welcome to the forums at Android Central, since your thread at the "welcome party" was closed...
Glad you got help here.

Sent From the TARDIS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000