Why does google play music take up internal and external storage?

A

AC Question

I store google play music on my sd card, or that's what I thought was happening - it takes up the same amount of internal storage as it does external!? Why does it do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What are you storing on the SD card? Do you mean the app is moved to SD? Moving an app to SD never moves the entire app--only a portion.

firewire

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The same problem happens to me.

Let say I have 10GB of internal storage free and 32GB of external storage free.

I want to download music via the google play music app onto the device (specifically onto the microSD card).
The app downloads that music onto microSD but also reports that it take storage from internal space which should not happen.

So now I have 10GB of free space on internal memory and e.g 22GB of SDcard however the graph reports that those 10GB on the internal storage are taken and no longer usable.
see the attached photo.
Bare in mind all the data is stored on extrnal SDScreenshot_2015-02-07-13-06-59.png

Heath Wheeler

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. My phone says that I've used 12Gb out of an available 1.5Gb of internal storage. Yeah, that's not a typo, 12gb out of an available 1.5 total. How does that make any sense? Please, somebody HELP!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Downloads go to internal storage, regardless of where you tell an app to download to. (Windows works the same way - downloads go to a folder deep down the "temp" tree.) Then they get moved to external storage, if that's where you tell the app to put them.

My phone says that I've used 12Gb out of an available 1.5Gb of internal storage. Yeah, that's not a typo, 12gb out of an available 1.5 total. How does that make any sense?
You're probably looking at the total available on one partition and the amount used on another partition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress