Nexus 7 (2012) On hard reset, constantly stuck on 'checking connection...'

A

AC Question

I will try to give a bullet point of things I have done from the beginning to the end..
1. I live in China. I have factory reset my tablet here before and never had this issue. 2.The tablet is from the UK.
3. China has the ''great firewall'' of China. Impossible to access google without a VPN.

-I tried updating my tablet when the new update came out.
-In the middle of the update, the tablet restarted, immediately disconnecting me from my VPN.
-The tablet requested access to Google Play but would not let me turn on my VPN.

After researching info on how to deal with this, I decided a factory reset would be better. I can update when I go on holiday outside of China.

I did a factory reset from the settings menu.
The reset seemed to work.
Finally back to the 'start' screen. I choose English UK, enter my wifi password..... and am never able to connect. I cannot 'skip' connecting to the network. The tablet is constantly stuck on Checking Connection even though the Wifi icon states I am connected to the internet.
After several minutes of Checking Connection, I get this message:

''Web page not available''
The Web page at (Cannot post link as I'm a new user) could not be loaded as:
net:ERR_TIMED_OUT

... ... help?

Ryo Saeba1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat. It took me a few hours but I found a way to share your VPN connection using your PC.

www cactusvpn com/setup/share-vpn-windows-7-wi-fi/

I don't know if I can post links but I'm sure you can figured where I replaced the "." with spaces.

In any case, simply follow the steps and you should be able to connect your N7 to your PC sharing your VPN.

Note that you CAN NOT use the same connection to share the connection. Meaning you can't connect to your Router by wifi, then use the wifi as a hotspot.

You must use a LAN cable connected to your PC to gain internet access, then create and activate the hotspot (don't connect yet to it yet), then setup the sharing connection, then connect to VPN, then connect your N7 to the hotspot.

If you done everything correctly, you should be able to finish the Setup Wizard.

Some personal notes: The guide is a little confusing on which connection to share. You do the sharing on the VPN account in the Network Connections window. You must use Window's build in VPN dialer. When sharing, you must select the connection you've created in the command prompt under Home Networking Connection. It won't show up in the list if anything is connected to the hotspot.

I hope this helps as it took me a few hours to figured this out...

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
To re-register a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet in China, after a factory reset, proceed as follows:

Use a latop with WiFi capabilities, and connect to the internet, with a cable to a router.
1. Download a free program called: Virtual Router Plus (free and virusfree).
2. Run VPNGate on the laptop. Connect to a stable server in Korea, or Japan, to bypass the Chinese blocking. Or use

another working VPN.
2. Install and run Virtual Router Plus on the laptop.
3. It creates a new wireless acces point. Choose a Name and Password for it. Start the access point.
4. Start the Nexus 7.
5. Connect to the newly created Access Point.
6. Success. Google configuration screen comes up.

Enjoy...