When will my simfree Samsung S4 get the next update?

checkmate1984

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
when will my simfree samsung s4 get next update

Hi all

i have a sim free Samsung s4 on the EE network. When am i to receive update? i know mobile operators take there time, but i am sim free so mine should be coming directly from samsung/android no?

I heard there be kitkat coming out soon and lollipop too.

is there any time frames when i can expect it?

also i am going Australia, how can i check my phone will work there? its sim free, does that mean its unlocked?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.☺
Please excuse the tardy reply....I don't know how we missed you.

If you bought the phone SIM-free, and then put an EE SIM in it, it will still be unlocked. You can put a SIM for any other network in it and it will work on that network....provided your phone's radio bands are compatible with those used by the other network. That's what you'll have to check in advance. Info about that is available online.
Also of course, you'll need to have adequate coverage by that network in whatever area you're planning to visit.... again, checkable online.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: when will my simfree samsung s4 get next update

You should have KitKat already. Check Settings - About Device - Android Version. KitKat is 4.4. You probably have 4.4.2 like my Samsung Note 3. Other Google devices got a minor upgrade to 4.4.4, which is basically the same.

I don't have Lollipop / Android 5.0 and don't expect, or want, it soon. I also have a UK unlocked device. Some Vodafone customers got Lollipop this week.

Be careful what you wish for. Android 5.0 is very different, everything has a white background and it has not been running smoothly on other Samsung models like the S5 in the US.

I am not completely sure the S4 will get Lollipop. I can check.

On Edit :Yes it looks like it -

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=491119

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=371524

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress