Why is my HTC One M8 stuttering?

A

AC Question

I have an htc one m8 with android 5.0.1 (lollipop). I am experiencing some stuttering issues. For example, in the app drawer when I scroll up and down for a certain period of time slowly (like for a 1 minute or so), there will be a glitch/stutter where the scroll quickly and automatically goes to next page (it is almost like the app drawer just blinked and refreshed but it shouldn't be doing that right?). After that stutter/glitch then no more glitches/stutters occur.

It usually happens when my cell signal is weak

OR

If i turn ON the cell radio or WIFI after being exiting airplane mode, the phone starts connecting to the wifi or cell signal and a stutter in the app drawer occurs.

But the scrolling everywhere else is fine (ex.scrolling in homescreen pages). There are no glitches,stutters etc. anywhere except for in the app drawer.

So is it doing that since the phone is trying to connect to the wifi/cell radio and causes the stutter?

I suspect that many users will not have experienced this issue even if it exists because not everybody would be focusing so much time scrolling in the app drawer like I do for no apparent reason anyway lol :). I just wanted to know if it is normal on every htc one m8 or not.

Let me know if I am not being clear enough, thanks!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm. The simplest thing you could do is reboot the phone and see if you notice any lag. Close all applications in the background and make sure you don't have any battery saving mode on as that reduces the CPU clock speed. Let me know if you have anymore questions or if anything comes up.
Sent from my splendid Note 4.

hc p304

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
hey guys, thanks for your replies, appreciate the help!

i tried rebooting as well as a factory reset as well (because i updated to android lollipop).

the issue still persists (it appeared while i was on KitKat too), so i don't think lollipop is the problem. initially lolipop was giving me other problems so thats why i factory reseted the phone and those problems went away. but my current issue existed while i had KitKat as well

so i am confused

hc p304

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
also, it isn't lag. it is more of like a one time stutter after i connect to wifi. After that stutter, it doesn't happen again unless i turn wifi off and then turn it on again (or if it disconnects and reconnects by itself)

this issue used to happen with my cell signal instead of the wifi before. My cell signal strength was weak (probably due to my carrier), so when my phone was searching and latching onto the signal (so that 4 bars would be displayed), there would be a stutter in the app drawer. but now I mainly get good signal strength so i don't get stutters associated from that any more (and cannot test it).

maybe i should explain what i mean by the stutter more clearly. the stutter that happens is like a quick blink (like a refresh and moves to different page) while scrolling in the app drawer. After i turn on the wifi and go into the app drawer and start scrolling down a few pages and then up a few pages and so on, then it happens.

i feel i know why it is happening because i think its due to the phone finding and connecting to the wifi network but i don't know if it is supposed to happen or not

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure I have this issue for 2 reasons. 1 is due to I am running a different ROM. 2 is I am normally not looking for any stutter while connecting to my WiFi. I can try to remember to look when I get home.

From an AOSP M8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress