How do I switch a full sd card with a new one without losing any memory files?

A

AC Question

how do i switch full sd card with new one without losing any memory files

Transfer memory from old full microsdhc to a new one with more gbs and put new one in the phone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i switch full sd card with new one without losing any memory files

Welcome to Android Central! Unmount the full card from the phone (in Settings>Storage), then remove it and insert it into your computer's SD reader. Copy the entire contents of the SD card to your hard drive. Now insert the new SD card into the computer, and copy the data over to the new card. Now insert the card back into your phone. Hopefully that will work, but it's always possible that any app that had been partially moved to the SD card might become broken.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i switch full sd card with new one without losing any memory files

It's definite that any app moved to the SD card won't get copied to the new card. If you have apps that you moved to the card, either back them up and reinstall them, then move thm, when the new card is in the phone, or move them to the phone before switching cards and move them back to the card after switching.

Apps on the SD card aren't identified by name in a directory, but by location on the card. They won't end up in the same location on the new card, so the phone will report a missing app. (Named files can be anywhere - the directory points to them. They're found by looking up the name in the directory.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez