What's up with this suddenly weird data usage spike?

A

AC Question

Suddenly wierd data usage spike

Ok so basically hi ppl .... i have a s4 GT I9505 and used it for over a year. I currently have a 3 gb data plan that refreshes every month and constantly from time to time have turned on mobile hotspot so that my friend from overseas may surf the web when he is with me. Constantly my s4 gives reasonable readings of how much my friend has used.... 50mb to 100 mb... just the usual facebook surfing and instagram browsing.... ok ... here comes the main problem .... so today is like as usual ... my friend comes to visit me ... i turn on my portable hotspot ..... we go out and by afternoon i got a warning message from my carrier that i have used 80% of my local data bundle already.... i check my data usage under "usage" in settings and under tethering and portable hotspot .... the usage is a whoping 2.3 gb .... all in less than 5 hours considering the fact that he wasnt on his phone constantly and that he has not been downloading any apps or streaming videos.... ok 1 main point is that i am unable to check his usage as he is using an iphone that only allows the checking of the celluar data usage but not of the wifi usage .... also that my portable hotspot has a secure password .... im thinking if it might be a bug or someting and please reply if you encountered a similar problem. Thanks .
P.s this is my first time posting on this forum and im sorry for such a lenghty post...but i desperately hope for an answer or better... a solution.... dont troll me please ... and again ...... many thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Suddenly wierd data usage spike

Welcome to Android Central! We're not in the business of trolling.;) Plenty of other sites for that!

Your situation is tough, because the most likely answer is that something on your friend's iPhone was pulling down a lot of data. I'm not familiar with iPhone settings--so there's no equivalent of the Settings>Data Usage>Wi-fi menu?

To make sure it wasn't your phone, did you check your own Settings>Data Usage>Wi-fi menu? Anything using an inordinate amount of data, or was it primarily the Tethering/Hotspot?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer