How do I allow a system update over wifi only?

A

AC Question

how do i only allow sysem update over wifi

How do I only allow a system update when on wifi

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: how do i only allow sysem update over wifi

Welcome to Android Central! When you're ready to update, you could just turn off mobile data and stay on wi-fi, then accept the download and installation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you the original poster?

Go to Settings>About Phone>System Updates. Is there an option to Automatically Check for Updates? If so, turn it off. Then you can turn off mobile data when you're ready to check for updates, and just use wi-fi.

schmooot

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Really? That's your solution? To manually turn off mobile data whenever a system update forces itself? No, unacceptable. He asked how to set it to never download system updates on mobile data. There has to be a setting somewhere. My phone just used 1 gig of my mobile data to download the latest update, not cool. It was connected to wifi when I accepted and it sat on the desk the entire time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no way to permanently tell Android to only download updates via wifi - it always has to be done manually. (The immediate answer to "there has to be a way to ..." is "why?" - there doesn't have to be any way to do anything.)

aff59

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
This just happened to me. I am furious. My month's data was sucked up by the android update that downloaded while my phone was connected to my wifi. Ridiculous! I have apps set to download on wifi only. Default should be wifi! Not limited cell data. Turn off cell data is the best answer?!? Great! Now cell data will be off for a month. What ***** thought that was a good idea?!?

davorg

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I noticed that my Nexus 5X was downloading Nougat over 4G last night. No way to turn it off (other than turning off all data) and no way to cancel or pause the download.

So that was over half of my monthly data allowance gone in a couple of hours. Thanks for that Google :-/

Wilbour

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Same thing just happened to me. One gig for phone updates. Was never given an option for WiFi even though the wifi was connected the whole time.

The provider should see this and exempt us from being charged.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Really? That's your solution? To manually turn off mobile data whenever a system update forces itself? No, unacceptable. He asked how to set it to never download system updates on mobile data. There has to be a setting somewhere. My phone just used 1 gig of my mobile data to download the latest update, not cool. It was connected to wifi when I accepted and it sat on the desk the entire time.

Yes, that's my solution. System updates aren't automatically initiated--you still have to accept them. I don't see it as a hardship to turn off mobile data in this situation. You could also just make sure wi-fi is on while mobile data is on, and assume that the phone will automatically favor wi-fi for the download, but if you want to be sure mobile data isn't being used, turn it off.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: how do i only allow sysem update over wifi

Notification of the availability of the Lollipop system upgrade sat obediently in the notification bar awaiting my consent for many weeks on a Nexus 4. I deferred for that long because I wished to continue with Kitkat for a while. Only when I was ready did I download and install.
The problems described above must be related to basic user settings.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you guys are accidentally accepting the updates? Make SURE you read notifications before you click ok! Instead of clicking ok, click on X to close the notification!

Aundreaya

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
No. This has happened to me more than once. I click "remind me later" and after a few times clicking that it just starts installing. This time was the second time in less than two weeks! I absolutely did not allow it and I was already over my data because of the last install (when I was on WiFi) now I'm not on WiFi and it installed. This is stupid!

Chris Crombie

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Just got off phone with Google support on this issue.

I have a Nexus 6p with 7.1.1

Apparently this is no longer in the System Updates setting bu is done through the Play Store App on your phone by selecting:

Settings > Auto-Update apps > Do not auto-update apps

The rep swore up and down that it would apply to System updates as well, but I'm not sure I believe him. Hopefully I'm wrong as this is killing my cellular data usage. :mad:

Anyway, hope that helps someone.

DBoard

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
I am an android newbie with an LG Stylo 2 Plus with OS 06.01.01. This is happening to me as well. Is there any updated info that anyone might have? It's killing me as well! Every other darn app is set to update on wifi only. Google Play store is as well, but didn't work that way it seems. :'( Thanks for any help!