Turn on USB Debugging in Download Mode or Recovery Mode?

IAmTheBigDeal

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Ok... I am in a sticky situation right now... I need to turn on USB Debugging on my Samsung Galaxy S3 in Download Mode or Recovery Mode... my phone CANNOT boot. I get stuck at the carrier logo then my phone will shut off (I have already determined this is an unfixable problem). I really doubt this is possible, but I just wanted to check.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to the S3 forum on XDA Forums (I can't give you a direct link - they're down for maintenance at the moment) for your carrier. See if anyone has a boot image for your phone that runs from the SD card (usually in the development sub-forum). That will get you into download mode, ready to flash a ROM. (See our flashing guide if you need directions.)

IAmTheBigDeal

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
Go to the S3 forum on XDA Forums (I can't give you a direct link - they're down for maintenance at the moment) for your carrier. See if anyone has a boot image for your phone that runs from the SD card (usually in the development sub-forum). That will get you into download mode, ready to flash a ROM,

Ok... I was unclear with what I want to do.... I wanted to flash the Clockworkmod on to my Galaxy S3... so I can mount the internal memory and recover my photos, but my USB Debugging mode is off. I cannot boot my phone because my battery port isn't working (the four prongs on the inside). I CAN boot into Recovery and Download mode... Will the method you gave me work with what I want to do?

Also, if there is a better method of getting my photos off please let me know.

Thanks for your help :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok... I was unclear with what I want to do.... I wanted to flash the Clockworkmod on to my Galaxy S3... so I can mount the internal memory and recover my photos
Flashing a ROM wipes internal memory, so you can't flash a ROM to recover files on internal storage (and don't have to if the files are on the external SD card).

but my USB Debugging mode is off. I cannot boot my phone because my battery port isn't working (the four prongs on the inside). I CAN boot into Recovery and Download mode... Will the method you gave me work with what I want to do?
As I said, I'm trying to figure out a way to dump user space from the recovery or download partitions with an unrooted phone, but I haven't figures out any way yet. And I haven't seen anything on XDA working in that direction either. So as of now, there's no method short of a JTAG that can read the motherboard's storage. (The device is expensive, the head for the particular motherboard isn't cheap [but it's not expensive - usually in the $30-$150 range] and you'll need months of experience under the watch of someone who knows how to use it.)

Also, if there is a better method of getting my photos off please let me know.
From internal storage with a phone that won't boot to the system partition, isn't rooted and has USB debugging off? There's no way short of a JTAG. That's why backups were invented - so you could drop the phone into the Marianas Trench and not lose any data.