Android device manager used for stalking?

A

AC Question

A couple years ago my husband and I set up a shared google account. Since then things have gone downhill and I've had to move out bc of security reasons. He's previously tried to track me via google plus location share, I've now disabled this function. A week or so ago I started getting notifications from the android device manager that the location of my phone has been shared. I checked my phone, and this shared account still pops up, however the password has been changed, and the recovery phone number/email both belong to my now ex. My q's: is it possible for him to use this shared account for stalking? And, how can I disable this function?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If it's a shared account, and if your phone is logged into that account, then whoever has access to the account can locate the phone, as long as the phone is connected to the web and Location is turned on.

You should really get rid of that shared account completely. Remove the account from your phone in Settings>Accounts, and add your own personal Google account (if you don't have one, create one). Don't access that shared account anywhere--it will mean not being able to use it for email or contacts or anything else. This is one of the major pitfalls of a shared account, and why people should think twice before they do it.

Good luck!

Lexpilot

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Okay so did google start the notifications just start a week ago.
I ask because this is what I use android device manager for, stalking kinda.
I have a family plan with two kids on it. I set up new, otherwise unused gmail accounts on them (they use apps for their real email). I activated "find or erase phone" on them in case they get lost or stolen. Of course I discovered I could see where the phones (and them) were on the google map when locating the phones. Pretty cool thing for a parent making sure their kids are where they say they are. Well about a week ago the phones have been giving notifications that their location had been shared.
Is there a way to prevent them from getting the notice that their Dad checked on them?
Thanks

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
AFAIK the location shared notifications can't be disabled. But look at it this way...

Tell the kids hey, I might check up on you anytime so ya better be where you're supposed to be. BUT, you'll get notifications on your phone so you know I did. That makes us even. Fair's fair.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Lexpilot

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Crash, I know, plus they can just turn off location.
It is new however since it just started giving the notification on the searched phone last week.
Probably came in an update.
Lex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38