Not getting audible sounds when Messages are replied to..

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy S5 and software was updated to G900VVRU1B0C4 on April 2, 2015. Since being upgraded to Lollipop I no longer get audible replies to text messages. If Messages are closed and a text message comes in, I get an audible 'ding.' However when receiving a message REPLY to the message there is no longer an audible 'ding.' The phone's screen saver often kicks in and people are replying to my messages but I have no audible notification. It shouldn't work like this. This wasn't the behavior I experience when using Kitkat.

The OS is assuming I'm sitting at my phone watching it waiting for a reply to my message. In reality it could be an hour or more until I receive a reply to my messages. It would be ideal to get an audible 'ding' whether I'm in Messaging or not. Or this could/should be a setting one can control.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There have been several posts complaining about this. It's actually the default behavior on my Nexus 5 when using Hangouts for SMS--i.e., if I have Hangouts open to that conversation, it doesn't give me a notification tone when someone sends me a message in that conversation. I assume the rationale is that if I have Hangouts open to that conversation, then I must be aware that a message arrived and therefore don't need an additional audible notification.

In the other threads about this issue, no one was aware of any way to change that behavior in Lollipop. There have been suggestions to use 3rd party messaging apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty