How do I get rid of the Android 5.0.1 "Lollipop" update to my Galaxy S4!?!?

A

AC Question

PREFACE:
To preface ALL of what I'm about to say, I admit that I am NOT a "hi-techie" person... so if I'm explaining way too much here, it's my layperson's way of attempting to make sure that I give as much valuable information as possible, in order to try to receive the best/most accurate information I need in return). I DO apologize for my lengthiness! ;-)

SUMMARY:
I am legally blind and a couple years ago I researched (as best I could) which "smart" phone would be the most accommodating to my disability. I ended up purchasing a used, unlocked AT&T, Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, upon which I use the cell company Straight Talk with.

Over all, the phone worked pretty well. It was sometimes a little glitchy (for example, the unlock swipe motion sometimes set off a virtual fireworks display of flickering light across the screen for a few moments. I would usually just turn it off and then on again, clearing it up), but it suited my needs for the most part.

I believe that when I received the phone in the mail, it came with either Jelly Bean 4.2 or 4.3, or one of the Kitkat versions... (I wish I had known/thought to look at the time!!!)

Anyway, my system forced me to do yet ANOTHER upgrade last week to Lollipop 5.0.1, and this is by FAR the WORST upgrade yet!!!

I have SO MUCH trouble now seeing almost everything on it!!!! A lot of the icons got smaller and most of my menus, etc are now blue writing on white background which is like the HARDEST contrast for my eyes! I could go on and on with how many things just SUCK on my phone now, but I will spare you the rest of my ********!

I will say that the "Negative Contrast" option for visually impaired people is a f-ing JOKE! I wonder who, exactly, this "handy" little feature is helping...?

QUERY:
1) How do I go BACK to one of those earlier OS versions for my S4, which worked much better for my personal accessibility, and 2) how do I BLOCK any further updates/upgrades from getting into/onto my phone (whether they be Samsung updates OR AT&T updates)???

*I barely use any apps/widgets on my phone regularly... Here is a list of what I will want back on my phone, which worked pretty well for me before (and hopefully should work again, once I'm back to my original set-up... right?):
-clock
-alarm clock
-weather
-calender
-calculator
-call
-text
-contacts
-Galaxy (or "Galax-Siri" as I call her), with a more human-sounding voice again
-internet browser (where I can download all the online apps I've used/will use again)

CONCLUSION:
I've been reading a bit online, but I don't really understand what terms like "flash" and "root/ed" mean...?

Is there anyone <who has taken the time to read all this> who can help me... PLEASE?!?!

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCCCHHHHH, to whomever is willing to take on the challenge of helping a poor sap like me, and who'll aid me on my quest for knowledge!!!!!!! ;-D

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Change is tough, and not always easy to go with especially when the device changes a lot due to a new OS update. Like going from Win7 to Win 8.x not everyone was a fan (me especially). If your phone is not locked down and you can root you could install a custom Rom based off of KitKat 4.4.4 that would be one way, the other would be to do an insurance claim they likely are not shipping with Lollipop. Unfortunately once done you can't unring the bell.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
See out flashing guide - [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. Get a 4.3 or 4.4.2 ROM and flash it. Root it. That will prevent it from updating. (It'll download the update, but the installation will "fail" as soon as it sees that the phone is rooted [it doesn't actually fail, it just won't attempt to update a rooted phone].) If you prefer, you can freeze the update app using Link2SD to stop the notices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez