How do you delete a Personal (IMAP) account in Lollipop

A

AC Question

Ive set up an account to test something but now there is no way to delete it. At least, I cant find how to delete this in the Settings > Accounts.

Anybody?

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Settings > Accounts > select account type (Google, Dropbox, etc) > tap on account to remove > tap Menu (3 dots upper right) > select Remove account.

If it's not listed in Settings > Accounts you should be able to delete it in whatever email client you're using.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

faqtsbe

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
The only option under the 3 dots is 'cancel sync'. No where I can see remove. Within the Gmail email client > Manage accounts brings you to the settings. No way to remove that imap account from there.

Letwinst

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I am having this same problem of going in circles. I have disabled syncing but still unable to delete. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S5 with lollipop. I was able to delete the account on my tablet which is running jellybean.

Last edited:

hbk4

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I ve the solution for ur problem.
Go to accounts in settings .
Then select the imap account which u wanna delete.
Then press the right hand upper most corner three dots (option icon).then u shold get the option to cancel sync.
Press cancel sync.

Then PRESS AND HOLD THE SAME RIGHT HAND TOP SIDE CORNER OPTION button /three dots for 2 or 3 seconds.
Then another small option bar Wil pop up up to ur left side of screen which reads
"More options".

Click on it and Vola !!...
U can see the "remove account " option in the next screen page u reach. Use the same right side top button. For the above function once again.

Worked method on lollipop 5.0.2 Samsung galaxy A7

TreeDoctor

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Nope. That removes the account settings, but the emails remain..... all the folders and their contents.
Is there a way to delete these ? not that I've found.
You can delete the emails one at a time. That's all.
Android is shockingly terrible at many things. .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not Android, it's that phones don't have full-featured email clients. Connect any real email program (like Thunderbird) to the account and it's trivial to delete all the email in that account. To delete the account itself (including all the email in it), go to the email's web page. Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail - they can all be deleted from their sites.

AlluraShin

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi we have the same problem.But i think i figured it out. My only option is to turn off the SYNC option on my email.The next thing i did was going to Settings>Apps>All>Email>Clear cache>Clear data>Force Stop.Then suddenly my Email was gone..Did this on my lollipop version.Hope this helps!

ballsweat94

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I'VE FIGURED IT OUT!!!!! So go through your settings then to the imap ****. Then click on the account you want to delete. Then press that's two lines in a box thing all the way at the lower left part of your screen. Then BAM! Deleted.

jeroekke

Apr 26, 2017
Visit site
I wanted to delete a hotmail-account as IMAP.
I had also a gmail-account, but nevertheless, I could only remove the hotmail-IMAP when I added another hotmail-exchange account. So with that third account, I could remove the IMAP which I had installed secondly (after first installing the gmail account).
Strange
But since then, there was always the option to delete the account.

BillyBoy2000

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
I found a solution for deleting an IMAP account (or any account) in Samsung S7 Edge after struggling for about an hour.

I initially could not find the "remove account" menu item that people talk about. It turned out it was hidden in an unusual location, Sync Setting of IMAP:

1) Phone Setting
2) Accounts
3) Personal (IMAP)
4) Then I saw my IMAP account with Sync Icon. Clicked it after trying all other reasonable locations and failed.
5) In Sync Setting, clicked the menu (three dots in top right corner). There were two options: "Sync now" and "Remove account"
6) Selected "Remove account." It removed the IMAP account completely.

I have confirmed that the "Remove account" is located in the same spot (in Sync Setting) of each account type. These include Outlook, Microsoft Exchange Activesync, Google, and Personal (IMAP).

Have a nice day!

Mandy Lo

Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
I found a solution for deleting an IMAP account (or any account) in Samsung S7 Edge after struggling for about an hour.

I initially could not find the "remove account" menu item that people talk about. It turned out it was hidden in an unusual location, Sync Setting of IMAP:

1) Phone Setting
2) Accounts
3) Personal (IMAP)
4) Then I saw my IMAP account with Sync Icon. Clicked it after trying all other reasonable locations and failed.
5) In Sync Setting, clicked the menu (three dots in top right corner). There were two options: "Sync now" and "Remove account"
6) Selected "Remove account." It removed the IMAP account completely.

I have confirmed that the "Remove account" is located in the same spot (in Sync Setting) of each account type. These include Outlook, Microsoft Exchange Activesync, Google, and Personal (IMAP).

Have a nice day!

Is there a way to remove personal imap account from Android 7.0 email app? I don't have "remove" option.