HTC One M7 - Suddenly my phone is telling me Type password to decrypt storage What?

A

AC Question

HTC One M7 - Suddenly my phone is telling me "Type password to decrypt storage"

My phone died last night while I was asleep. I plug it in this morning and then turn it on after a little while. It comes up to a screen telling me to "Type password to decrypt storage" and as you can guess I've never encrypted anything so I don't have a password.

So I get the phone to load into Bootloader.
I try to factory reset and it tells me ***TAMPERED*** ***LOCKED*** ***Security Warning***
Well, I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.

I got the phone last year from AT&T. It's not stolen. It's not second-hand.
It's stock. I've never tried to root it or do anything but use it as intended.
So I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what to do.

I can't use my phone to do ANYTHING. It's S-On as well.
I can't install stuff on it like ADB to help me fix problems because I'm locked out of doing so. Is there any hope for this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: HTC One M7 - Suddenly my phone is telling me "Type password to decrypt storage"

Bring it to AT&T and ask where the nearest Device Support Center is (it might even be in that store). Ask if they could just do a factory reset for you, since the phone just corrupted memory by itself. (If you don't let the battery drop below 40% - which you shouldn't - things like this don't happen.)

It's a crap-shoot. They may reset it for you even if it's out of warranty, if there's a fast way of just pushing a couple of buttons. All AT&T DSCs are good, some just have more compassionate employees than others.

(Or check out our HTC One M7 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com or the M7 forum on XDA Forums. Someone may know a button combination that will work. I don't have an HTC, or I'd probably know - finding the hidden little things is one of the things I do with a new phone.)