Need New Plan (AT&T or Verizon) and New Samsung S5s -- Which Ones?

StoneAgePhone

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Long time AT&T/Samsung dumb phone user w/1GB family plan shared between 2 phones. Need to move up to a couple of S5 Galaxies (pne recommended by several friends) and a plan with enough data to support casual web browsing and email. Nothing fancy. No movies or TV, no online gaming. It has to be AT&T or Verizon, as we live in a rural area and other carriers do not have adequate coverage here. I'm happy to go with a new 2-year contract.
Verizon says their 10GB plan is the best bet ($80 and an additional $30 for the 2 lines), but AT&T tells me that Verizon has "hidden charges" that will make their plan and phones more expensive than their $140/month 10GB plan. Verizon wants $100 bucks for the phone with a contract. A second phone will be full price.

I'm confused and need someone to help me cut through the bull and to suggest the best family plan and new phone combination for my use.

Thanks in advance.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is another suggestion: Consumer Cellular. They use the AT&T system and for a low usage plan they can't be beat. They have a 30 day free trail so you can see if it will work for you in your rural location and if you are a AARP member you can get a 5% discount on monthly fees. Our plan (me and wife) costs us a whopping $42.75 a month.

<Edit> Also, if you are a AARP member you get a 45 day free trial.

Last edited: