Flash Verizon firmware on an AT&T phone?

dorlow

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I bought my S22 from AT&T and had AT&T service. For a while, I had an AT&T physical sim and a Verizon esim. I noticed everytime I made AT&T my primary sim and restarted, the AT&T splash screen would display and all of the AT&T bloatware would install and be uninstallable. As soon as I switch to the verizon esim, the at&t bloatware I could uninstall and all of verizon's bloatware would install. Before this, I thought there was an AT&T specific S22 and a Verizon specific S22. But, with this test, I realized an S22 is an S22 no matter if it's from Verizon, AT&T, Boost mobile, etc. The hardware is identical. (I was thinking maybe the radio to talk to the towers were specific before.)

So, with this new knowledge, I switched completely to Verizon cancelling AT&T. I was having some issues, so I went to a verizon store. They deleted the Verizon esim and put a physical sim in. It's been working good. But, some Verizon services I still can't use. For instance, I cannot use verizon's spam caller filter service. It will not work. I'm told because I have an AT&T phone is the reason why. So, I'm thinking in my mind, probably my theory is close, but maybe the hardware is identical but the firmware is different. Maybe I need to flash verizon's firmware to make it identical to if I bought it from a verizon store instead. So, I went to sammmobile and downloaded the latest verizon specific s22 firmware. I'm trying to flash it with odin... it's not working. Everytime I attempt to flash it with odin, it fails on the auth step. I'm wondering if it's because the bootloader is not unlocked? I enabled developer mode and usb debugging. I'm not trying to root it or unlock the bootloader. Just flash the verizon stock firmware. Is there another setting I need to enable to allow me to flash it? Or what am I missing?

dorlow

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
more i'm reading, i bet it's because the firmware I downloaded is lower than the firmware that the phone is currently running...

dorlow

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
So, I found firmware files on samfw.com. I downloaded verizon's image for my phone and it worked using odin. I'm all loaded up. I then shut off the phone and started it back up into download mode. I noticed before in download mode, it said the provider of at&t in the upper part of that window before. I did it again after reloading it to see what it would say and it still says at&t. Not sure if that means I still have at&t firmware on the phone.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Technically, loading Verizon firmware will work. Because of the model# Verizon may still see if as a non-Verizon device. Changing the firmware doesn't change the model# nor IMEI. You may not be able to use certain Verizon apps like Call Filtering or My Verizon even with Verizon firmware loaded.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just flash stock firmware and use the built in call filtering by Hiya. That's what I did. I have an At&t branded S22U and flashed stock firmware and wish I would have done it sooner than I did.

Village_Idiot.... Changing firmware can change model #. I went from SM-S908U to 908U1 when I flashed.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I bought my S22 from AT&T and had AT&T service. For a while, I had an AT&T physical sim and a Verizon esim. I noticed everytime I made AT&T my primary sim and restarted, the AT&T splash screen would display and all of the AT&T bloatware would install and be uninstallable. As soon as I switch to the verizon esim, the at&t bloatware I could uninstall and all of verizon's bloatware would install. Before this, I thought there was an AT&T specific S22 and a Verizon specific S22. But, with this test, I realized an S22 is an S22 no matter if it's from Verizon, AT&T, Boost mobile, etc. The hardware is identical. (I was thinking maybe the radio to talk to the towers were specific before.)

So, with this new knowledge, I switched completely to Verizon cancelling AT&T. I was having some issues, so I went to a verizon store. They deleted the Verizon esim and put a physical sim in. It's been working good. But, some Verizon services I still can't use. For instance, I cannot use verizon's spam caller filter service. It will not work. I'm told because I have an AT&T phone is the reason why. So, I'm thinking in my mind, probably my theory is close, but maybe the hardware is identical but the firmware is different. Maybe I need to flash verizon's firmware to make it identical to if I bought it from a verizon store instead. So, I went to sammmobile and downloaded the latest verizon specific s22 firmware. I'm trying to flash it with odin... it's not working. Everytime I attempt to flash it with odin, it fails on the auth step. I'm wondering if it's because the bootloader is not unlocked? I enabled developer mode and usb debugging. I'm not trying to root it or unlock the bootloader. Just flash the verizon stock firmware. Is there another setting I need to enable to allow me to flash it? Or what am I missing?
Carrier firmware sim unlocked should do as you described with different carrier sim , you can even flash the unbranded Samsung unlock firmware which is U1 model not U but need Odin patch B(prince comsey)

Use Frija from XDA site this will give you the latest builds

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
Village_Idiot.... Changing firmware can change model #. I went from SM-S908U to 908U1 when I flashed.

It changes the firmware version, which is different than the model. A Verizon branded phone will have VZW in the model#.

SM-S908UZGEVZW - Verizon S22 Ultra
SM-S908UZGFATT - AT&T S22 Ultra

Also my daughter has the S22 U1 on Verizon and she can't use certain Verizon apps.

Last edited:

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

It changes the firmware version, which is different than the model. A Verizon branded phone will have VZW in the model#.

To see the actual model number, go to "Settings" > "About Phone" > "Status information" > about 3/4 of the way down is "Model code". That's what doesn't change.

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
To see the actual model number, go to "Settings" > "About Phone" > "Status information" > about 3/4 of the way down is "Model code". That's what doesn't change.
Yes. That is what the network sees. That's how the carriers can tell what is a carrier branded device and what is not.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Also my daughter has the S22 U1 on Verizon and she can't use certain Verizon apps.
This is true the U1 firmware (unlock) some Verizon features are missing

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
On the U1 firmware?
Yes, as far as I know. It's how the carriers set themselves apart from each other. You'll find AT&T "bloat ware" on AT&T branded models, and T-Mobile bloat ware on T-Mobile branded models.

All of them allow the U1 models. You just can use all of the carrier specific apps.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, as far as I know. It's how the carriers set themselves apart from each other. You'll find AT&T "bloat ware" on AT&T branded models, and T-Mobile bloat ware on T-Mobile branded models.

All of them allow the U1 models. You just can use all of the carrier specific apps.
U1 unlock bloat free only Verizon takes features out Not Att or T-Mobile

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
It's Verizon problem
I have Att and T-Mobile esim/sims between Carrier (U) firmware and Samsung bloat Free (U1) which doesn't do that.
I wouldn't call it a problem per se. More like a "Verizonism." I promise you, Verizon doesn't see it as a problem.

We can go round and round about what carrier is better or if U1 firmware is better than U....blah...blah...blah...

All I know is that the model number or code is what the network sees. If Verizon's network sees anything other than SM-S908UZGEVZW for the S22 Ultra, then it treats it as a non-Verizon device and therefore doesn't allow it to work with all of Verizon's features. Even if the device is running Verizon's firmware.

Is that a problem? That depends on who you talk to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a problem per se. More like a "Verizonism." I promise you, Verizon doesn't see it as a problem.

We can go round and round about what carrier is better or if U1 firmware is better than U....blah...blah...blah...

All I know is that the model number or code is what the network sees. If Verizon's network sees anything other than SM-S908UZGEVZW for the S22 Ultra, then it treats it as a non-Verizon device and therefore doesn't allow it to work with all of Verizon's features. Even if the device is running Verizon's firmware.

Is that a problem? That depends on who you talk to.
No we don't need to go around and around.
Just making sure what's being said is correct, I do have pretty good experience with Samsung and flashing as I helped lot of people here on the forums.

As your fairly new here , look at the stickies of each Samsung Forum last few years you can see what I mean .

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
No we don't need to go around and around.
Just making sure what's being said is correct, I do have pretty good experience with Samsung and flashing as I helped lot of people here on the forums.

As your fairly new here , look at the stickies of each Samsung Forum last few years you can see what I mean .
Then we should get along just fine.

I know my way around Samsung phones, and non-Samsung Android phones, and Windows, Blackberry, and Palm phones, and *cough* I even owned an iPhone once. Although, I don't' like to talk about that much...too many mediocre memories. I've even rooted one or two in my youth. I also know about Verizon's "Verizonisms," since I've been a Verizon customer since 2008.

celebrity-big-brother-140913-gary-busey.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Then we should get along just fine.

I know my way around Samsung phones, and non-Samsung Android phones, and Windows, Blackberry, and Palm phones, and *cough* I even owned an iPhone once. Although, I don't' like to talk about that much...too many mediocre memories. I've even rooted one or two in my youth. I also know about Verizon's "Verizonisms," since I've been a Verizon customer since 2008.

View attachment 356722
Great! You will be a good help around the forums, looking forward to your knowledge here

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000