Samsung Galaxy S5 Active water leakage

Cain Bailey

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a used S5 Active to replace my destroyed S4 Active. I checked the phone and there is no damage or even a scratch. The next day I test it by dipping it underwater for a few seconds and pulling it out. Nothing appeared wrong but about 30 minutes later my phone turned off and wouldn't turn back on, I opened the back cover (Which I had fully secured, along with the rubber port) and water was all in the phone. After a few hours of drying it started working again with no noticeable damage. I've tested the phone (Safely to avoid further damage) and water still leaks. I put on the back cover properly and everything, what is wrong? I can only assume it's bad manufacturing or the back cover is damaged.

Edit: Has anyone had similar problems? I've seen several accounts on the Internet of people's S5's and S5 Active's taking water damage despite being properly sealed and not over-used. Leading me to believe a manufacturing defect may be involved.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and welcome again with your next device.

Ah Man! I wouldn't have done that, especially with a pre-owned one - and I understand the temptation, but you can't have much come back on the seller now.
Very hard luck.

Try to recover it with a few baths in Isopropyl Alcohol, see this Guide and thread by Rukbat:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=477140

As to why, I can't say. A weakness somewhere, something the seller knew about possibly.

Last edited:

Cain Bailey

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and welcome again with your next device.

Ah Man! I wouldn't have done that, especially with a pre-owned one - and I understand the temptation, but you can't have mich come back on the seller now.
Very hard luck.

Try to recover it with a few baths in Isopropyl Alcohol, see this Guide and thread by Rukbat:

As to why, I can't say. A weakness somewhere, something the seller knew about possibly.

Thanks for the help, but my issue seems unique, the phone had plenty of reviews, and none of them complained of any water issues. I'm going to order a replacement back cover because my current one appears somewhat bent. The phone has a 90 day warranty, meaning I can probably get a replacement, if the water damage didn't void it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope it works out, and you may have a case.

Just if you say there was water inside (I never had this device) and it could have got to the motherboard etc, it's only a matter of time if you didn't act to clean out the water impurities quickly.

Mind you I recently dunked two phones very quickly and they survived.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help, but my issue seems unique, the phone had plenty of reviews, and none of them complained of any water issues. I'm going to order a replacement back cover because my current one appears somewhat bent. The phone has a 90 day warranty, meaning I can probably get a replacement, if the water damage didn't void it.

Well with the water resistance, if you have an actual warranty on it, if there was water damage from an "accidental" water exposure, if the seller won't honor the warranty, I would talk to Samsung.

My guess is, people aren't going to honor it for an intentional water exposure, because it is not sold as a waterproof phone, but resistant. I don't know that for sure though, I'm just guessing on that part.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95