Question Moto Z4 into the drink! (water damage)

MyMotoZ4

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Back in October, I was hopping around and my Moto Z4 flew out of my pocket and ker-plunk, right into a shallow natural water feature, in the dark no less. My wife was following me and said "Your phone!" because I didn't even realize it had flown out. I promptly dropped to the ground and started groping in the dirty water where it had fallen, my wife bringing her phone light to assist. Luckily, we found it within 60 seconds or so and went back to our room and dried it out. However, these are some things I did wrong:
- turned it on and off multiple times to see if it was working (dumb, I now know)
- used a hair dryer mostly on the cool setting (a few minutes on hot) in the speaker hole (also dumb)

The speaker was the not working at first, nor would the entire screen respond. After a day or two, the speaker function returned and the only issue I have with it is some dead spots (unresponsive areas in the screen) just around the speaker hole.

So, my question that I was hoping someone might be able to answer is: If I replace the screen, should that fix it, or did my hair dryer use around the speaker hole likely damage something else just inside? Thanks in advance for the help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Since the Moto z4 isn't water resistant rated you would have to take the phone apart and inspect did water do any other damage, the screen for sure.
Will u be attempting this or giving to a reputable repair shop?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's really no way to tell, since the water damage may have affected any number of other internal components, and corrosion can also take a little while to develop in some cases. So just because you replaced the screen doesn't mean that there won't be a number of other issues that crop up immediately or later due to the water exposure.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

MyMotoZ4

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's really no way to tell, since the water damage may have affected any number of other internal components, and corrosion can also take a little while to develop in some cases. So just because you replaced the screen doesn't mean that there won't be a number of other issues that crop up immediately or later due to the water exposure.
Ok, thank you for replying. Have new screen in hand and will report back if it worked. Much cheaper to try it and see than get a new phone.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte16