Why does the Galaxy change commas to semicolons when dialing?

A

AC Question

Why does the Galaxy change commas to semicolons? When I dial a number from my contacts or calendar that has a comma the dialer shows up with a semicolon and drops anything after the fist extension. Is there a setting to stop this or a way to work around it??????

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Using the stock Android dialer, or some other one? The stock dialer is supposed to use commas as 2 second delays, not as "stop here" marks. If you're using the stock dialer, I'd bring the phone to the carrier for assistance.

brewmage

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I've been having a similar issue... But mine is when I have a calendar/meeting entry. The phone number along with the passcode and a subsequent # to "send" the passcode is correct in the calendar entry.. So it looks like 1-800-123-4567,,,1234567#. I can select it, but the dialer then converts the commas into a semicolon. After dialing the number, the dialer prompts me to send the passcode, but doesn't include the # at the end. I've been able to do this successfully in the past, but do not recall it working correctly for the last couple releases of Android... Since 4.4 maybe? Didn't pay that close attention, as I wasn't using this capability so much.

bwt_3

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I just tried switching from iOS to Android and ran into the same exact problem (Samsung S6 on Verizon, FWIW). This is my work phone and dialing into conference calls is a common enough thing for me that this problem is enough to send me back to Apple.

I'm not sure why this isn't a more publicized glitch. I've tried three different dialing apps, including stock Touchwiz, and none of them handle this case correctly.