After updating to 5.1.1 my user icon in the messaging app was removed, can't put a new one now.

A

AC Question

I have read multiple threads about a similar issue already, but none regarding the latest update. Before the 5.1.1 update, I managed to put a user icon image by logging on to my Google+ account. No biggie. But now, after the update it's just a gray silhouette. I have tried re-logging back to my Google+ and my Play Store; no avail. I have a "myself" contact and tried changing it to a different image; didn't work. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen if you try other messaging apps, like Google Messenger?

Also, if you swipe down, do you normally see your user picture at the top corner of the notification or Quick Settings panel? (Not all phones do this.)

luminuslynx

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I installed Google Messenger just to check (I only use the default messaging app that came with my phone) and it has my icon.

And yes, when I swipe down I do have my user image on the top right.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So it's just the stock Messaging app, right? If you don't have any important messages saved, try going to Settings>Apps>All, select Messaging, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open again, and see if that makes any difference.