What micro SD card should I buy?

A

AC Question

I have recently updated my moto g 2015 to Android marshmallow and want to use an SD card as my internal storage as I only have 4 gigabytes of storage. I am just wondering what the best option is for transferring files and running apps from the SD card. I do own a decent SD card but it is unable to actively run apps off of.

Thank you,

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. SD cards aren't designed like mmc storage. Using one as sd0 (internal storage) is going to kill the card a lot faster than using it to store data (which is what it's designed for).

2. The phone has to be rooted, then you run an app like External 2 Internal SD (Root) to swap the mount points if you don't know how to do it from a terminal.

3. The best cards are made, of course, by the company that invented the technology - SanDisk. They're also a great company to work with if you have to. 10 year warranties on their better cards (5 years on the cheaper ones), online tech support, they answer emails quickly, and the quality is good enough that if you buy a 256GB card today, it'll probably still be working when we have apps that won't fit on that card. (I still have some working 32MB cards.) They cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

(When Samsung messed up with the S3, and it started eating SD cards, SanDisk came out with a fix for their cards so they'd work in the S3 - long before Samsung fixed the problem.)