Why is nothing saving to my phone's SD card?

A

AC Question

I have 8 gb on a Galaxy Core Prime phone, with 398 mb of space left. I have 14.38 gb of total space available on my SD card. Nothing is saving to my SD card however.

I have tried to manually move apps over to the SD card, but it seems a lot of data still stays in the phone's memory.

Also, there is 4.41 gb of "Miscellaneous Memory" in my phone that I can't delete. What is this and why can't it be deleted?

This is very frustrating. I want to download and listen to Podcasts, and download various apps. This is why I paid extra for a 16 gb SD card. The employee at the Verizon store installed it for me.

How can I get this extra memory to work?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have 8 gb on a Galaxy Core Prime phone, with 398 mb of space left.
That's not usually enough even for the phone itself to run - it normally needs closer to 500MB free.

I have 14.38 gb of total space available on my SD card. Nothing is saving to my SD card however.
Only apps that can be told to save to the SD card will.

I have tried to manually move apps over to the SD card, but it seems a lot of data still stays in the phone's memory.
That's how it works. Small pieces of an app are moved to the card, and there's a link left for each piece. You don't really save much internal storage by moving apps to the card.

Also, there is 4.41 gb of "Miscellaneous Memory" in my phone that I can't delete. What is this and why can't it be deleted?
Miscellaneous storage (storage and memory aren't the same thing). That's the data that your apps are keeping. (Like your login and password in Play, whether to present as a desktop or mobile browser in a web browser, etc.) Delete that and all your apps revert to the state they were when you installed them.

This is very frustrating. I want to download and listen to Podcasts, and download various apps. This is why I paid extra for a 16 gb SD card.
Set the podcast app to play from the card. Put the card into a PC or laptop. Download the podcasts to the card - if the podcast app created a folder, put the podcasts there, otherwise create a folder for them (or a folder and subfolders - whatever is logical to you).

(Computers, desktops of phones, download to their default location. (Download a 4GB file to your D drive and you'll see - it downloads, then it takes a while to copy. It downloaded to C, then got moved to D.)