Is there a way to disable the pop up ads when you unlock your phone?

A

AC Question

Everytime I unlock my phone, a stupid ad pops for the Google play store or a virus app or something like that. I don't know what I've done or if I've even done anything wrong. Please help!!!

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I would first start deleting apps one at a time and after deleting one app, try to lock and unlock your phone. See if the ads go away. If yes then that was the App. If no than do it with another. If you get down to just the bare bone basic apps then I would suggest doing a wipe and restore.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Everytime I unlock my phone, a stupid ad pops for the Google play store or a virus app or something like that. I don't know what I've done or if I've even done anything wrong. Please help!!!

Welcome to the forums! What device and Android version do you have? You could try this. Right after unlocking the phone don't close that pop up, yet, go to your settings to check the 'running apps' and see what apps are listed. There's a big chance that the culprit should be there.

Anonymous 1

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! What device and Android version do you have? You could try this. Right after unlocking the phone don't close that pop up, yet, go to your settings to check the 'running apps' and see what apps are listed. There's a big chance that the culprit should be there.

Uh, how do I check running apps? Oh, my friend said its an invisible app that cant be uninstalled so i have to hard reset it.

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Uh, how do I check running apps? Oh, my friend said its an invisible app that cant be uninstalled so i have to hard reset it.
Welcome to the forums. What device do you have which version of android is it running? Can you post a screenshot with those pop-ups?

After Marshmallow the running apps option can be found in the Developer Options.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

GuccizBud

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
It's almost surely a game doing it. When it appears, look carefully at the whole surface of the ad --- look especially around the edges and corners --- you're looking for an info button of some kind. It'll likely be small, sometimes REALLY small, and could be as innocuous as a single lowercase " i " inside a little circle.

Tapping it will likely get you a bunch of text, but somewhere inside that text (and right at the top, if you're lucky) you should see the name of the app that's doing it.

If the app name itself isn't there, the developer name will be, in which case you may need to do a little digging. Eg. you don't see an app name but you see (let's say) "Rovio Entertainment Corp" ... you could, as one way to do it, enter that text as a search string in Google Play, see which apps they make, and cross-reference that with what you have installed ("Angry Birds! It's Angry Birds!").

Last edited:

Yaboi1334

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is there a way to disable the pop up ads when you unlock our phone?

On galaxy tabs you can press the tabs button (next to the home button) then click on active apps while the ad is on then just press end 😃

Mhd Nucchi

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

John Ryan6

Feb 13, 2018
Visit site

I had the same problem and tried removing several apps that were identified as usual suspects, like the flashlight. Malwarbytes was no help. I solved my problem by deleting S Photo Editor that came prebundled on my new Samsung S8 plus. No more pop up ads since I deled that.

anon(10388027)

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
An app named "Air Push Detector" by Dan Bjorge will help. Simple, free app.

It won't block ads, but will tell you where they are coming from.

It detects other installed app that appear to use known notification ad frameworks and offers the user the ability to easily uninstall them.