Question Gallery app back up together with the albums created

magma

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Hello all

I'm pretty sure the following question is a noobish one that has probably been answered
However I'm not able to find a definitive convincing one

Please do link to to a page in case it's too boring to answer me directly

Here are my doubts / query
Do kindly help if possible
Would be much appreciated

It's a long one but I thought I would give as many details I can instead of going back and forth

I use the " gallery app" which comes default in my Xiaomi for my photo and videos managent and not Google photos app

Now in gallery app ( not Google photos app ) I have various albums -
here I have added various pictures in different albums that need regularly for work

My question
How does this get backed up ( the photos in this particular albums format that is there in the Gallery app - because I can't see these same albums in Google photos drive ( though I've set up Google as my backup)

So although the photos are backed up in Google photos they are NOT IN THE ALBUM format as in the gallery app that I'm used to

All 6000 are all dumped in a single place

- so if my phone is lost then how do I recover these albums as in my gallery exactly?

It would be impossible to sort them all out from the 7000 photos that are all in one library on Google

- these albums are very important to me - so isint there a way to backup the gallery app exactly as it is ??

-Now I bought a second phone as an emergency since all the data here is too important to loose but when I use a second phone all my apps and stuff is showing since i linked it to my Google account -

Google photos also show my photos but again they are all dumped in one folder that's useless, the gallery app in that 2nd phone is empty -

how come all apps got restored except the gallery app -

Seems the only way is to use the Google photos app and create albums in that instead of using the gallery app - but this is inconvenient , I am used to gallery it's more friendly plus I have access to it even with no internet

Please help
Can this be done ?

How ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, not directly as you are trying to do it. The way Google Photos (and ANY other cloud back up service) works is by backing up your media files in the FOLDER they are created. Most will back up the Camera folder by default, and can add additional specific folders in your device to back up as well. Now, this is where your ALBUMS come into play (or, rather, don't): your Gallery app isn't creating new folders in your phone; it's just organizing those files into app-specific locations. Since these are created by the app and not an actual file location on your phone, Google Photos doesn't 'see' those albums as separate. In the end, those pictures are all still saved to the same folder.

Only if Xiaomi has a specific back up option for backing up and restoring those albums into the Gallery app would you be able to achieve what you're trying to do.

So, one option of doing what you want, is to move the files into different FOLDERS on your phone. They should show up as separate locations on the Gallery, and Google Photos would also save them to separate locations (as long as you don't forget to manually activate those external folders to be backed up).

magma

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Where would i create those folders
Any specific place ?

So that the gallery sees them

Also will I be able to view them in my gallery app
Or i will have to go some long way to view them ??

Xiaomi does have their own cloud
I don't mind even paying for it
The stupid fellows give options to backup
Contact , settings other stuff

But not gallery

Or do you think they would definetely have a gallery backup

Which I can't find in their cloud ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You would have to create the folders through a File Manager (just like you would on your computer). Then move the actual picture/video files from the Camera or original folders into those new ones. Your Gallery should display each folder as a separate 'Album' (not too familiar with Xiaomi phones, so not sure how that looks, but the functionality should be there, just not sure if you have to select a specific 'view' type or if they'll display the folders right away like most Gallery apps do).

Again, never used a Xiaomi phone so not sure about their back up options and what it includes (it may just be like other picture managers, where only the files are saved but not the 'virtual album' sorting).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, not sure about Xiamoi phones but the fact that the path includes 'Gallery' makes me wonder if they are actual folders. Take any picture or video inside a folder and select to see its details. Does the individual path show those as folders?

magma

Feb 15, 2024
Visit site
Ok
Here's what I did as you suggest
Went to the gallery app

Then went into one of my albums
Called " hifi racks
Selected a picture
Went to " see details" about the picture

This is what came

IMG_20240218_141500.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Huh... weird, that IS a different folder. I wonder if Photos is seeing the main folder (either "Pictures" or "Gallery") as the camera folder. For example, on Samsung Phones, screenshots get saved directly to the camera folder so, even though they are in a sub-folder called 'Screenshots', Photos backs them up as part of the main camera folder. Try setting up a test folder with a few pictures outside the Pictures folder and then select to back it up as an 'external' folder in Photos. Did that work?

Daniel Detkowski

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
This is how I would do this :
If you have folders for each album on your phone, open the Google photos app and upload only 1 folder at a time to the cloud. Once that folder is backed up to the cloud, open Google photos on your phone and create an album pertaining to these photos and make sure they are all there.
Repeat the process until you've uploaded each album, 1 by 1 into Google photos.

Reactions: Madd62

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjhe29