Why does my screen timeout reset itself to 15 seconds connecting my LG G5 to android auto

A

AC Question

I have put my screen timeout to always on in settings but any time I plug into android auto it resets itself to 15 seconds. I can't read texts, email and web surf that fast. I have to keep tapping the screen to make it come on or go back into settings and change it every time I start a new phone session connecting to android auto. I have an LG G5. My G4 did not do this but LG says that it is an android thing being a third party app and cannot help me. Specifically how can the code writing engineers fix this? Will it be fixed with nougat? Only specific solutions please

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Would be better within Android Auto if texts and emails were read to you, wouldn't you think? Maybe the screen timeout is a safety feature? I wonder if when the car is turned off the screen does not work normally without the timeout?

g094389

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Having a similar issue. I get that it's a safety feature but, I would appreciate it if once Android Auto exits, the original screen timeout is restored.

I have my screen timeout set to 5 min. When I plug my phone in to my Android Auto enabled vehicle, the AA app launches automatically and the screen timeout is immediately set to 15 seconds. That's fine as I am pretty adamant about not using my phone while I drive anyway. But once I disconnect from AA, the screen timeout should be restored to 5 min or whatever other setting was in place before the app launches. It just seems to be sloppy programming rather than something that is intended.

But, I have taken to using Automagic as a workaround. I wrote a script that watches for AA to exit and then sets the screen timeout for me. This works more often than it fails but I never know when it works until my screen shuts off while I'm in the middle of reading an email.