Question How to keep screen off while plugging in charger?

12Android

Aug 2, 2023
Visit site
I have noticed on my Android 12 phone that the screen is turned on as soon as you connect or disconnect a charger. But also if there is a slight change in ampereage. This causes problems when connected to a solar panel for charging, because the phone keeps disconnecting and immediately reconnecting to the solar panel every two minutes or so, which causes the screen to turn on and drain the battery. This makes the phone loose more current than what is provided by the solar panel. How can I fix this?

I know I could set the screen timeout to a minimum, but I feel it would be cumbersome and annoying to go into the settings and change the screen timeout every time the phone is on charge.

I have tried the apps "Snoozy Charger" and "Screen Stay off", but both of these apps seem outdated and don't work on Android 12. Is there a more updated alternative, perhaps?

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
Welcome.

You don't say which device you have.

It is not normal for the Lock screen to unlock when you plug in a charger, in a regular Lock Screen setting .
Charging nimations briefly, sure.

Is the charge very low and slow from the solar panel?

Reactions: VidJunky

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with @Madd62 that a brief charging animation is normal but to come on as if awake and depend on the screen timeout or interaction is odd. Do you have a privacy lock set at all? Is it Facial Recognition? I can picture the device thinking you were looking at it and it staying unlocked. If that is the case you might have options like swipe to open. Usually after some kind of automatic unlock event there will be an option to still require a swipe to open and use the phone. While you don't have to input a code, pin or pattern this swipe is still necessary. It would help if we knew what device you had but you could also turn off lift to wake if that is enabled and turn on flip to mute. I'm not sure if that one will help or not. If it is an option you use you can test and re-enable if it doesn't help. Anyway everything is a guess until we know what device you have.

Reactions: Madd62

jamesatha

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site
I have a pixel 5. And in the last week I have noticed that when I connect my phone to a charger, it remains unlocked (past the 1 minute timeout) and stays open. What setting do I need to change to get back to turning off the screen/locking the device?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a pixel 5. And in the last week I have noticed that when I connect my phone to a charger, it remains unlocked (past the 1 minute timeout) and stays open. What setting do I need to change to get back to turning off the screen/locking the device?
Welcome to Android Central! Do you have Smart Lock (now called Extend Unlock) turned on?

jamesatha

Nov 8, 2023
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@VidJunky, my phone doesn't seem to have the Develop Options that are mentioned in the solution you linked
Developer Options need to be turned on by the user. Go to Settings>About Phone, and tap Build Number 7 times. This will activate the Developer Options menu. Go back to the main System Settings menu and look for Developer Options, then look in that menu for the Stay Awake option, and make sure that's not turned on.

Reactions: VidJunky