Phone won't connect via USB to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

Hello. I recently bought a Wiko Ridge 4G and when I connect it via USB to my desktop, it "charges" for a few seconds, shows the options of the connection, and then just stops as if it wasn't connected at all.

The drivers start installing on PC but they get stuck right on the beginning and do nothing until it just disappears. Reinstaller USB drivers (I think) and updated all other drivers, even tried downloading Wiko Ridge 4G specific drivers to no avail.

When I access Device Manager and try to update the driver (because it says that's the main issue with it) this is what happens puu.sh/qW7gM/18bfba06d0.png (and the device saying RIDGE 4G quickly turns to Unknown Device).

My question is if someone ever had this problem and if so how to fix it? Because I'm really not keen on sending it to the store just to come back the same, I have a feeling this is something very specific. Thanks in advance!

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
FYI: According to the official home page of your device.. it would appear that your device may not be supported via Win10. Reason I was searching is to check and see if there was any firmware updates from Wiko Ridge 4G. This site is not responding, which tells me they have either shut the doors, updating their system or have been bought by another company. Clearly, one would need to check for any type of firmware/update for this device or as suggested above a windows device driver update could be possible. if the device is not supported by Win10 then you will have to send an email to Microsoft etc and request that this device be added during the next update or patch. But I would suspect Microsoft would inform you the same thing I did; "This device is not supported" thus the reason you're experiencing issues.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
@TOASTERvan
Thanks for your input. It's confusing as this phone worked on another PC. I don't have issues with my Samsung which still has Win7 Samsung USB drivers as Samsung haven't released Win10 drivers and I have no issues with Win10 64 bit Pro version.
Don't you just love technology?? (when it works...)

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I'm sure it's Win10 related. I have a Samsung and have no problems connecting to my PC yet I see posts from others who can't connect. I did some reading and this may help. Go here Download Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center and download and install the correct version for your PC and let me know how you get on.

Tried it, nothing changed (also, I seem to have mistaken my Windows version, I'm Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - not 32-bit). The USB drivers have been reinstalled and reupdated and it remained the same. I'm guessing this could really not be supported by Win10 -yet- as Wiko is kind of an overlooked brand? I could try taking it to Microsoft - or a more related forum - and see where it goes, although I've kinda lost hope, but using Google Drive for every single thing is horrible.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Wiko is kind of an overlooked brand?
I believe I've already suggested this in my above comment.. For that matter goto goodwill buy a cheap older version computer just to setup for use on your phone.. what's that old saying, you get what you pay for.. and in this case.. you thought you're getting a great deal on a phone that's not supported..

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
You could set up a virtual Win 7 PC. It's a lot of work though https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_create_vm
I wish I had more ideas but my tiny brain is spinning.

I was gonna say, due to college I already have a virtual box installed (although it's Ubuntu, but I could quickly set another one up) and ask if that could somehow help. Not a big fan of having to put away a few gbs just because of this, but if it's the only solution I wont mind.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
This is a long shot but....
Open device manager, expand USB Serial Bus Controller
right click on USB root hub and click properties
click on Power Management tab and uncheck the options "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
If there are more than one USB root hubs you will need to do the same with each.
click OK and restart your computer

GRIM

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
This is a long shot but....
Open device manager, expand USB Serial Bus Controller
right click on USB root hub and click properties
click on Power Management tab and uncheck the options "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
If there are more than one USB root hubs you will need to do the same with each.
click OK and restart your computer

GRIM

Nope, did nothing

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried connecting a different phone to your computer?
I find it hard to believe that 2 USB connections on one computer would go bad a the same time but maybe the controller is not working.
Have you tried to update the drivers for the controller?
Perhaps even changing the drivers to a generic version.
I think I remember you commenting that you are connecting directly to the computer USB and not a secondary Hub correct?

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried connecting a different phone to your computer?
I find it hard to believe that 2 USB connections on one computer would go bad a the same time but maybe the controller is not working.
Have you tried to update the drivers for the controller?
Perhaps even changing the drivers to a generic version.
I think I remember you commenting that you are connecting directly to the computer USB and not a secondary Hub correct?

Yes, a BQ and my old Wiko Rainbow work fine. Updated everything I can (except the Wiko Ridge 4G MTP driver itself because of the issue that shows up as mentioned) but haven't tried "changing the drivers to a generic version", not sure how to do that. And yes, it is connecting directly to the computer USB (could a secondary HUB help?).

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Changing the drivers is just like updating them but instead of searching the Internet for new driver you search locally, Then choose to install the drivers of your choice.
I am not familiar with your device, In Developer option in your settings, is there a "USB Configuration" section?
If there is, check to see if MTP ( media transfer protocol) is checked.

GRIM

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
There has to be a simple (but yet unseen or untried) solution to this. I hate when I get problems like this, but either feel good, (or stupid that I missed something obvious), when I finally resolve them !

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Changing the drivers is just like updating them but instead of searching the Internet for new driver you search locally, Then choose to install the drivers of your choice.
I am not familiar with your device, In Developer option in your settings, is there a "USB Configuration" section?
If there is, check to see if MTP ( media transfer protocol) is checked.

GRIM

Oh, yeah, that. Tried it before and posted about the results here in the thread, it worked for a while (for file transfer only) and then stopped working, and can't reuse the drivers I used manually because they give the same MTP error. As for that, yes, MTP is checked, I believe.

This might sound stupid, but since I have no idea how these work, if I used a hub, like those multiple slotted USB things, would it do anything different? Because I'm really running out of ideas.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Probably not, they act more like a spliter, as opposed to adding functionality but if you have one handy. It doesn't hurt to try.
I seem to recall that you have tried several different cables but upgrading to new data cables is my final thought.

As an outside solution, is your PC able to support setting up a wireless network that your phone could connect to or perhaps if it is able to mirrorcast you may not need wires to connect with your PC.
Check YouTube to see if any videos have been done showing how to setup a wireless connection.

GRIM

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty