I want a number row on my Google G Board

A

AC Question

I've Googled this and people say that within 'Google keyboard settings' there is an option called 'Appearance and Layouts' from where I can add the number row.

But I don't have the Appearance and Layout option.

The advice pages I read are from July 16, it's now October 16.

Any help??

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Hello and welcome to Android Central. Here's how to add the number row to the Google keyboard. My device is running Android 6.0.1. Do the following.

1. Go in to the settings menu.
2. Select "Language and Input".
3. Select your Google Keyboard settings.
4. Select "Preferences".
5. Select "Custom input styles".
6. Select the + button in the top right corner.
7. Under the "Language" pull down menu, choose your language. For me, it's "English (US)"
8. Under the "Layout" pull down menu, select "PC".
9. Go back to the main menu and choose the "Languages" setting.
10. Deselect the "Use system language" setting.
11. Select the custom setting you added. It should have (PC) at the end of it.
12. You should now have the number row at the top of your Google keyboard.

Let me know if we were able to help you. Also consider joining Android Central. It's a great community to learn & interact with fellow Android users. There is no cost to you.

time_tourist

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Strangest question

I posted a question earlier today about Google G Board, which someone very kindly answered. I'dlike to thank the person but also ask further questions on the same thread BUT.. a)I can't find my original post (Is there no search function among forum thread?!) And b) I don't see a 'reply' button anywhere to further the thread.

time_tourist

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much for posting a link to my old question! Also a 'reply' button has appeared that wasn't there before! But I still don't know how to find old forum threads myself. Is there a search function? I've looked everywhere for it....

AND, thank you for the help about the number row on the Google G Board. I was able to get the row following your help but, it also brings in lots of other characters that I don't want ( square brackets, equals sign, semi colon etc).

Does anyone know of a properly customisable keyboard app?

I also want to be able to program in short cuts; things that I always type like the various e mail addresses i have our phone numbers etc. I've tried doing this via the 'personal dictionary' in Google g Board but it's very VERY erratic as to when that actually works.

Sorry for all the questions!

time_tourist

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks sfoLAX, I'VE USED SWIFT KEY.

I've only just this weekend bought a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge after only ever having had iPhones. Have been told for years how great Android is because you can customise it any way you want. It's not quite working out!

Has anyone managed to get the personal dictionary short cuts to work? I've typed in the long form and the short cuts but it's only in WhatsApp that it has ever worked, in every other app/web page/note page.... It doesn't work...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I second SwiftKey. I always get the personal dictionary shortcuts - but only after using the keyboard for a while. (At first, I get them, but they're pretty useless. It's some sort of matching, not AI.)

time_tourist

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I've used swift key. It won't accept pre programmed shortcuts but does learn things you type frequently.... Eventually.

I'm really amazed there isn't a functioning way to program android keyboards... In 2016!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I've used swift key. It won't accept pre programmed shortcuts but does learn things you type frequently.... Eventually.

I'm really amazed there isn't a functioning way to program android keyboards... In 2016!!
As far as I know SwiftKey doesn't support shortcuts.

https://support.swiftkey.com/hc/en-...d-for-Android-support-shortcuts-or-clipboard-

I use them with Google keyboard and they work great, just remember that the shortcut can't include special characters.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask as many questions as you want, that's what we are here for! By putting you question up on the forum, other people who may be wondering about the same thing can learn as well...

DdraigCymru

Feb 20, 2019
Visit site
I'm sorry, I know this is a really old thread but I can't seem to find anyone else having the same issue.

I have number row enabled. I also have the symbols enabled, as in the appear next to the alphabetical value of each key. However of the top row of letters (qwertyuiop) the long press offers me the associated numerical value e.g. Q=1, W=2 ...

I can access the symbol such as % for Q but I have to slide, whereas the rest of my keys offer the displayed symbol.

The fact that I have the number row enabled makes the long-press numbers obselete and honestly rather annoying.

I have toggeled every setting I can in relation to numbers, symbols and long-press shortcuts on the preferences tab of settings but I can't seem to fix this issue?

Can anyone please shed some light for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa