Question Resurrect my Moto G First Generation

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
You may be thinking why on earth why would anyone want to do such a thing?

Here's the reason. I want to run PIXELA CameraAccess plus app. This was discontinued in 2019, and afaik it runs only on android 4.1 to 7.1
And the reason I want this particular app is that it will remotely control my Canon VIXIA HF R600

So, I recently dusted off my old Moto G, charged it up, and did a factory reset - thought it's best to start from a clean slate. NB Its not rooted.

This is how it went:
Connect to wifi - ok
Privacy - improve products - no thanks; enhanced device support - no thanks
Put in my Google account details - that worked, with verification required on my good phone.
Then I am asked - Add phone number?
This page does not respond to anything: Learn more, More Options, Skip, and Yes,I'm in. I am stuck at this point.
Intriguingly, it does not provide a space where the phone number can be entered:confused:
I have taken off the 2factor verification from my Google account but its just the same.

Please, can anyone shed some light on this.

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
I know nothing about this, but I have a dead Moto G (2013) in a drawer since 2016.

I had it looked at by a good repair shop at the time.
Bottom line : they were well known for having the motherboard die after I think 2 years. Mine was about that old.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my old 1st gen Moto G (which was a prepaid version, I think on Verizon), I could bypass the carrier activation screen by tapping all four corners of the screen in succession, I think starting at the upper left and going clockwise. It's a longshot, but give it a try.

Reactions: rvbfan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does the phone have a SIM slot? If so, can you temporarily swap your current SIM card into it (assuming it's the right size) and then see if you can proceed with the setup?

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the phone has a SIM slot with an inactivated Vodafone card in it.
I didn't want to try the SIM from my good phone, as that would need messing about with an adaptor to accept it. Also, just about to go away on holiday and didn't want to risk messing my good phone up.