How do I get rid of sudden influx of ads and pop-ups?

A

AC Question

Hi. I have a new Vodafone Turbo 7. I've downloaded some apps- and everything was going well until last night. I downloaded Instagram from GooglePlay- but before I'd even finished setting it up, I had a couple of pop- ups for adult sites. In the next 20 minutes or so, I had several ads popping up and several 'alerts' telling me that my phone had been infected from the 'adult' sites and to click on 'ok' to download some anti-adware. Obviously, i didn't click on anything. I uninstalled the Instagram app immediately then looked online and found Zamana anti-virus was recommended. i installed it and it did a full scan and told me that my phone is safe.
However, it has been throwing pop-ups at me constantly- most of which are telling me that I need to update my phone urgently, that my energy is being drained and needs urgent attention...all those things that seem to be trying to get me to click on some link, which I won't do. These particular pop-ups are interrupting what I'm doing, and I can't open Google from my home screen without an obtrusive pop up in the way. Any suggestions?