S4 mini screen turns all cyan after brief seconds of working fine (previous wet damage)

A

AC Question

The phone works fine, except for the screen, which after showing the initial "splash screen" showing Samsung Galaxy S4 mini GT-I9190, switches to an all cyan display. When that happens you can immediately hear the sound of a Samsung Logo animation that plays after the initial screen, but you never catch a glimpse of that animation. Likewise, if the phone is off and the charger is plugged in, the static picture of a gray battery with a static icon that tries to indicate "processing" shows for a few seconds, and as soon as the proper animated logo of a green battery charging up show appear, the screen switches to cyan. Screen captures look alright when i inspect then in a PC, so the screen is being "rendered" properly at some point, all the phone functions that i managed to test work properly.
The phone fell briefly in a sink some months ago, battery was immediately removed, and phone dried up without dissasembling it (probably rice and blowdrier). After that, phone continued to work properly, but some time later some lines appeared in the display, and then it turned all cyan. There was no oxidation inside, an only a minimal amount of white powder that built up on some resistors/capacitors of the screen (no signs of damage on chips which groupes in the bottom part).
What could be wrong? The screen obviously works fine, there's no sign of trouble when it shows the initial static images. And the GPU obviusly renders those images fine, and continues to produce fine output per the screen captures...
I couldn't find anything about cyan screens on internet.
Also, something odd is that if the automatic "external daylight brightness adjustment" is disabled, sliding the brigthness indicator produces a zigzaggin change of brightnes, where it starts to go up, then falls a bit and stars to go up again (3 times along the whole adjustment zone).
Phone has been dissasembled completely except for the screen, glass and touch assembly, and all exposed parts where cleaned, brushed and dryed with isopropyl.
Next step I'm considering is putting it with some drying sillicagel in a sealed container in the frezzer to -20°C and see if i can get a few secconds more of screentime off the chips, and if that doesn't work, blast the motherboard with a heatgun for some 5 minutes at 80°C and see if that changes anything.
Anyone has had a similar problem, has any suggestions?
I have pictures and video if needed, but can't find the attach buttons on this webpage.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It's dead Jim. Back it up if you can and get a new phone. Once you get water in them, eventually corrosion sets in, parts get damaged and the phone dies a slow death. The water has long since dried, leaving traces of minerals and salts, this shorts out components and corrodes tracks on circuit boards...

Erme

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
OK, so only logged in user can attach files...
Here's a video and some pictures.
I already did a "full factory reset", upgraded firmware with Kies and SmartSwitch, and enabled Developer mode and fiddled with the graphic options a bit, although i don't know what most of them mean. Interestingly, the screen works perfectly in "download mode" (Power+Home+Vol Down), but shows a cyan screen in recovery mode (Power+Home+Vol Up).

20161031_010954.jpg

B0fSPjH - Imgur.jpg

gtgKaGK - Imgur.jpg

Screenshot_2016-10-31-01-07-35.png

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

DSC02074.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

Samsung galaxy S4 mini screen turns all cyan after brief seconds of working fine - Album on Imgur

Problem might be realted to this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/685025-darker-translucent-lines-when-i-change-brightness-my-galaxy-s7-edge.html

It's almost unnoticeable, but at the brigthest setting, there are three 3mm slightly brighter horizontal lines that divide the screen in four equal rectangles.