Face unlock

ShawnMeds23

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I thought Face unlock was a feature of ICS. I don't see it anywhere on my Prime since the update? Did asus take this out?

CeeDotSmith

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought Face unlock was a feature of ICS. I don't see it anywhere on my Prime since the update? Did asus take this out?

I don't have a Prime, but... you went under Security in the Settings right? Under Screen Lock?

I only ask because that's were its enabled on the G Nex...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Face Unlock is a feature of ICS yes, but ICS like any Android OS is open source. There's no mandate that ASUS needed to include that feature and it looks like the opted against it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

CeeDotSmith

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Face Unlock is a feature of ICS yes, but ICS like any Android OS is open source. There's no mandate that ASUS needed to include that feature and it looks like the opted against it.

Thanks for clarifying since you have one... good to know.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I've seen on some other forums that others have found face unlock in the application list, but something is blocking it from being used. Something like that. I may have misunderstood though.

SpikeJones

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
@SpikeJones,

you are right. When I go into Manage apps, its there. I can only disable it or force close.

What does this mean then? In all the threads that I have seen people asking about this, (mainly at XDA) people have said the same thing, that they see it in the manage app area, but can't use it. Do you think it's only there because it's a feature of ICS? Or has it been accidentally hidden, and maybe a new update soon will bring it to life?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
What does this mean then? In all the threads that I have seen people asking about this, (mainly at XDA) people have said the same thing, that they see it in the manage app area, but can't use it. Do you think it's only there because it's a feature of ICS? Or has it been accidentally hidden, and maybe a new update soon will bring it to life?

All it means is that Face Unlock doens't work on the Prime because Asus didn't implement it.

Android is open source and just like OEMs can put custom skins and tweaks in the versions of Android on their devices they can also remove features.

Because Face Unlock appears to be half there, I'd bet they just did a quick a dirty job of removing it since they didn't have time to get it working. I'd bet they'll revisit it but i'd also bet the hacking community takes a stab at getting it working too.

Last edited:

yazoowho

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The face unlock is a cool feature for a while. I have the Galaxy Nexus and tested it out on my phone. It was fun while at the office, but as soon as I got into my car that night, I found a fatal flaw. It was too dark in my car for it to recognize me, and I had to end up putting in the pin code anyways to unlock my phone. I went back to the standard slider the next day.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
There is no face unlock on xoom ics so its just not asus. Word is its four phones not tablets. I have a question for prime ics when u go into settings is there a developer section or did asus remove it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana