Micro SD Reading/Formatting

bbx9000

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Just purchased my Transformer Prime today, it's actually my first Android product. I've used Android devices before, but not intensively, only while at work (wireless carrier), so I'm somewhat familiar with navigation.

I've popped in a 4GB micro sd just to try it out, but I can't seem to find it in any directories, not even to format it. I've looked under storage in settings, but all I'm seeing is "Internal Memory". Am I missing something?

I've also experienced some less than desirable wifi signals, but I can live with that. Also tried out the GPS from inside my house, but right up against a window and my Prime can't seem to find any satellites. I'm going to try it outside in a bit to see if it's any better. What apps are you using to test your GPS signal?

Any support with my first Android product would be greatly appreciated.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
This tablet seems to be a bit picky about the Micro SD. I bought two 32GB cards one for me and one for my son. He put his in and it read it just fine. I put mine in and it would try to mount it and then stop. I finally put in on my Windows machine and formatted it (FAT32) and then the tab mounted it just fine.

Now how is the 4GB card you have formatted? Does it have any directories on it? If it was just formatted you will (of course) not see any directories.

Anyway my advice would be to get an adapter from someone (if you don't have one), format it on a Windows or Mac machine and try again. Worked for me.

FrogDog8276

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Is there any other file system the Prime can read?

I need to put HD video files on the card that are larger than 4 gb(the file size limit for fat32).

I just did a search and saw it supports NTFS.

Last edited:

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This tablet seems to be a bit picky about the Micro SD. I bought two 32GB cards one for me and one for my son. He put his in and it read it just fine. I put mine in and it would try to mount it and then stop. I finally put in on my Windows machine and formatted it (FAT32) and then the tab mounted it just fine.

Now how is the 4GB card you have formatted? Does it have any directories on it? If it was just formatted you will (of course) not see any directories.

Anyway my advice would be to get an adapter from someone (if you don't have one), format it on a Windows or Mac machine and try again. Worked for me.

I've had that problem before as well. I've got a USB stick that I can plop a Micro, Mini, or SD card into and use my computer to format them if I need. Chances are, that's all it needs to work. Just make sure you use FAT32.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've been having trouble with mine reading a 32GB Sandisk card formatted using FAT32. I will try reformatting the card to see what happens. It is reading a 16GB just fine, though. I had all sorts of files on the 32GB card and the computer had no trouble reading the card. I'll have to update once I try the formatting.

Update: I reformatted the 32GB card and the Prime now reads it without issue. I'm not sure what was wrong with it but it seems to have been fixed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress