32 GB Class 10 MicroSD Deal on Amazon ($40!)

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Today's Deal of the Day on Amazon: Lexar High Speed MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10 Flash Memory Card with Reader, $39.99.

Has pretty good Amazon reviews. A few 1's but mostly 5's. Was thinking of grabbing a 32 GB class 4 for around the same price, but then this came along, so I grabbed one for my Prime, and threw in the microHDMI cable under "Frequently Bought Together" as well, since I was thinking of grabbing one anyway :)

Amazon.com: Lexar High Speed MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10 Flash Memory Card with Reader LSDMI32GBSBNAR: Electronics

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Comments like this:
I purchased two of these cards. One for both my wife and I. Both cards used in Epic 4G phones and various computers. After 2 months both cards occasionally would come up "damaged" in android. Reformat. Rinse repeat every week. Now after 3 months one is completely dead. Cannot use the card on any device. Calling manufacturer for warranty. Both cards do not work at class 10 speeds. I will not be buying lexar equipment again.

make me nervous. Especially since that particular review was followed by this comment:
Should have trusted your review. I had the same problem.

hyrulejedi86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Well, I read alot on XDA and I came across the SanDisc as a suggested card for pretty much any device due to their excellent track record and longevity. The price is even better than the lexar too. I bought two a while back and they have been no issue yet!
Now that card is a class 4 so with reguards to write speed its slower than class 10 but their read speeds should be the same. For my purposes I'm not transferring data back and forth. I can wait a few extra minutes to get my movies on the card then they play perfectly on my prime.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I read alot on XDA and I came across the SanDisc as a suggested card for pretty much any device due to their excellent track record and longevity. The price is even better than the lexar too. I bought two a while back and they have been no issue yet!
Now that card is a class 4 so with reguards to write speed its slower than class 10 but their read speeds should be the same. For my purposes I'm not transferring data back and forth. I can wait a few extra minutes to get my movies on the card then they play perfectly on my prime.

yeah i read about the read vs write speeds, and while it'll be nice to have faster write speeds, i only really care about read as well. i guess ill have to check out the lexar when i get it and make sure i dont throw the packaging away. i do trust sandisk more than anyone else for microsd cards...

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
One fact missed by many buying SD cards that needs to be considered.

Speed Classes 2, 4, and 6 assert that the card supports the respective number of MB/s as a minimum sustained write speed for a card in a fragmented state. Class 10 asserts that the card supports 10 MB/s as a minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed.

This means Class 10 are not for daily or casual use. It is made for data that doesn't suffer from fragmentation. Can we think of any data that doesn't? BACKUPS If u use a Class 10 SD card for regular use in a device u will only see speeds closer to Class 4. If u research alittle u will find that some of SD card makers have been known to reclassify their Class 10 card to Class 4 just because of bad reviews by ignorant buyers.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
One fact missed by many buying SD cards that needs to be considered.

Speed Classes 2, 4, and 6 assert that the card supports the respective number of MB/s as a minimum sustained write speed for a card in a fragmented state. Class 10 asserts that the card supports 10 MB/s as a minimum non-fragmented sequential write speed.

This means Class 10 are not for daily or casual use. It is made for data that doesn't suffer from fragmentation. Can we think of any data that doesn't? BACKUPS If u use a Class 10 SD card for regular use in a device u will only see speeds closer to Class 4. If u research alittle u will find that some of SD card makers have been known to reclassify their Class 10 card to Class 4 just because of bad reviews by ignorant buyers.

okay cool. So I might be better off with a Class 4 SanDisk for the price? I'll admit I didn't do a ton of research, and just figured this was a good deal. I did remember some people saying they wanted a class 10 microsd for their device so I figured I'd go for it haha. I do plan on just using it for casual/daily use.

I've read reviews or something mentioning that SanDisk Class 4's being on par with other manufacturers' Class 6 or something, and that they go a class down on purpose or something (probably in a review knocking a different manufacturer's card)

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate people's comments! I still haven't gotten the thing, but I don't think I should have a problem swapping it out if I decide to do so.

alhull

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought a 32 Gb memory card for my Prime from Amazon. It is working fine as storage, but when I insert the chip into the edge of the Prime until it clicks into place, there is still about 1/16 of an inch of the chip protruding from the slot -- it is not flush with the edge of the Prime. When you are holding the tablet on the sides, it would be fairly easy to accidentally apply enough pressure with the palm of your hand to pop the chip out.

Is this a defect in my Prime, or a poorly-made chip, or what? I know on other devices like my smartphone, the chip actually is slightly below the edge when clicked into place, and you need to use a fingernail or similar to push in on it to pop them out.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had a 32gb class 4 in my Dinc and now two of them are in my kid's nooks.

Sandisk is tops...

Read write speeds are important when copying large amount of files, etc. or for instance when I shoot sports with high frames per second I want a card as fast if not faster then my camera's buffer.

Class 10 for phones is nuts because how many times would you copying 32gb of data in one shot?

It will save you some time, with long transfers but that is about it.

uglyyeti

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
...when I insert the chip into the edge of the Prime until it clicks into place, there is still about 1/16 of an inch of the chip protruding from the slot -- it is not flush with the edge of the Prime. When you are holding the tablet on the sides, it would be fairly easy to accidentally apply enough pressure with the palm of your hand to pop the chip out.

Mine does the same thing - the fake card they ship with it is smaller than a real card. It'll stick out a bit. I've shot mine out a few times grabbing it without the case on, but since it's been in the case I haven't even noticed it.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same thing - the fake card they ship with it is smaller than a real card. It'll stick out a bit. I've shot mine out a few times grabbing it without the case on, but since it's been in the case I haven't even noticed it.

This. Shipped prime with deceptively short placeholder.

I guess what it comes down to is this: for basically the same price, should I exchange this class 10 Lexar for a Class 4 SanDisk? If the class 10 were $100, I'd def be going with the Class 4 SanDisk. But they're roughly equal in price.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Bump.

Got the Class 10 card today. Haven't even opened the package yet (it's at home; I am not). I'll try the thing out when I get home, unless someone can definitively say I should stick with the SanDisk Class 4. Not really getting a strong indication either way.

Things like "class 10 for phones is nuts" would tell me not to go overboard and spend extra money on one, but, point blank, with price taken out of the equation, would I be better off with the Class 4 SanDisk over the Class 10 Lexar?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
what's warranty on the cards. Sandisk is only 3 years with micro SD. All other cards are lifetime. Don't know about lexar. You can't go wrong but I did have a card fail in me once and sandisk replaced it free of charge. It was a cf card though a few years back.

Other than sandisk, lexar and a few others most companies buy the bigger companies scraps so to speak. A pny card could be a card that works fine but didn't pass sandisk standards so they sell them off to other companies.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses! I'm not gonna bother even opening the Class 10 and just go with the SanDisk. Some of those reviews on Amazon for this card make it sound like a rental more than a purchase haha. I trust SanDisk more out of experience and what everyone else seems to be saying :)