Partition a prime and run another os?

gecko

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
OK so back when I was a younger I knew all these answers... but the world changes and so does tech...
so

can an transformer prime be partitioned to run a different O/S?

hackintosh or windows?

I am thinking with a 128 G SD card in the keyboard and a 64 G micro SD in the tablet it should be enough memory to pull it off, but I don't know if the information is accessible from these sources fast enough to be feasible?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
right now, no.

there is some early work being done to get Ubuntu running on it.

I thought I read some place that in theory you could run windows 8 on it because windows 8 supports arm architecture. But I haven't heard anything else on that.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read some place that in theory you could run windows 8 on it because windows 8 supports arm architecture. But I haven't heard anything else on that.

Not exactly. There will be a version of Windows "8" for ARM so that we can have low-power Windows "8" tablets that compete with iPads and Android devices in form factor and battery life. But Windows "8" for ARM will only be available to device manufacturers who are producing those devices, there will not be a way to purchase the ARM-specific version. Additionally, like with Android, there will be some level of customization required by hardware manufacturers in order to fully support all of the built-in device capabilities. It will end up being very much like the current tablet/phone market, except that it will be an ARM-specific flavor of Windows "8" on it (think something like Windows Phone).

But most importantly, the ARM-specific version of the OS will not allow you to execute existing x86/x64 code, so your entire base existing Windows applications won't work on the new ARM-specific version of Windows. But any new applications written for the new WinRT API (basically anything available in the Windows 8 store/marketplace) will work on either platform.

Realistically, I can't see why someone would want to go through all of the trouble to shoehorn a version of Windows 8 for ARM onto a Prime, assuming that they could even get ahold of the code to install it.