Asus Fonepad Not Powering- up

Android Explrr

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I got my parents a new Asus Fonepad (Indian edition) last month. After running fine for a few weeks, we ran into a problem recently. We forgot to recharge it for a few days while it while 2G data was left on. Consequently the battery drained out (almost completely) and now the device won't power up at all. When connected to the charger, if we try to power it up using the power button, the screen comes up, it shows the battery picture indicating that it has started charging but then the screen goes dark again after a few seconds. This process repeats every time we attempt to power up the Fonepad. We have tried the following but without any success -
- charging it for a few hours, and trying to power it up when the charger is connected. the behaviour is as described above
- trying to hold the power button down for 40-50 seconds
- trying to hold the volume down+power button down for 40-50 seconds (this is a trick known to work on Asus' Nexus 7)
- charging for about an hour, then removing the charger and reconnecting it and then powering the device on

I have read stuff about the "deep sleep" mode in Jellybean and it having problems with the Asus hardware, but haven't got anything that helps. As you can understand it is a little frustrating to have your brand new gadget conking off so soon, especially after you've waited for it for so long and read great reviews about it. And I have my reservations about taking it to the Service Centres as Asus does not have an established service network in India (West Bengal).

All and any help will be greatly appreciated!

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Step 1. Unzip file and copy ?ME371MG_all_XXXX.raw? to the root path of SD card. (Please do not put more than one ?ME371MG_all_XXXX.raw? file in the SD card.) Step 2. Insert the SD card to the Device. Step 3. Turn the ASUS Fonepad device off. Step 4. Keep holding the ?power key? and ?volume up key? simultaneously for 5-10 seconds. You will see ASUS logo and the device will then go to download mode as below. Step 5. Hold the ?volume down key? first, and then press ?volume up key? for a few second. You will see a menu on the screen. Step 6. Select ?SD download? (?volume up key? for move up; ?volume down key? for move down) -> Press ?power key? for execute. The Device will process update and then reboot automatically

Leave your phone on charge overnight. Ignore step 1&2. On step 6 select reboot or factory reset
Hope it helps

Android Explrr

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a ton for replying!
Will try this out after recharging and update. Only possible problem I see is that my device isn't powering up. So Step 3 (Turn the ASUS Fonepad device off) may actually not be effective.

I also have a query for steps 1 and 2 which are not applicable for my problem. Do these steps, if applied, root the Fonepad, thereby voiding the warranty?

Android Explrr

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
We did try the suggested steps. No luck! As the Fonepad is not powering-up at all beyond showing a glimpse of the battery charging picture for a few seconds, we could not get it to the ASUS logo mentioned in Step 4 or the menu mentioned in Step 5.

Any further suggestions Stevovr.. people? Or should I take it to the ASUS service finally??

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Do a search for the pdf file for the Asus fonepad manual. Page 23 will show you how to force restart using a paperclip in the reset hole under the back cover. Failing that it's Asus service time

cfernandes

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I had the same problem than you. I was looking for a solution on the Internet, but I don't find nothing.
Tomorrow I'll call for the Support Line.

Did you try charge by USB of a PC?
When I plugged on to USB of my PC, the fonepad is allways restarting. Happens the same with you?

If I find some solution tomorrow I'll let you know.

cfernandes

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Sorry for the delay!
I called to Asus Support Line some days ago. They asked me to try several things:
- Try another cable and another charger;
- Try another wall power;
- Try botton Power + Volume Down

All these tries without sucess. Now I'll return the equipment to ASUS after almost 2 weeks of use :(

ajaycheran

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
hi...at last I gave to Asus service center and they told me to wait for one week .they will do the replacement of the battery that is the only one thing they can do, just two weeks use and now it's on service center for one week maybe more..,a big disappointment

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
that's really bad indeed. i have a fonepad too and feels sad to see these basic quality problems
I haven't seen a device yet that didn't have a few problems. The fonepad is no different. That said, Asus has already released at least 4 updates to improve the fonepad. You will always get a few that have some issues. That's what customer service, cooling off periods and warranty are for.

Chhorn Sophak

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
hi Ajaycheran, i also had the same problem to yours (White Battery charing logo then go green with ? mark). i also tried the hard reset with push a reset button, Power + Volume Up, Power + Volume Down, but nothing works. Where my country does not have asus service center, please let me know when you get your Asus Fonepad repaired, and how to proceed.

Thank you in advance for your kindness.

Chhorn Sophak

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for your information. i just realized that after i got the problem.
if i could tear it down, then i may recharge the battery manually, then put it back. it may help. but i don't know how to take it apart.
i tried many search, but still not find.

Once again, Thank you so much for your kind respond.

With regards,
Chhorn Sophak

Chhorn Sophak

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ajaycheran and others,

Please be informed that my Asus Fonepad working fine again.

So just take it back from the Asus Service Dept. and do it yourself. so that you may not be charged. Poor Asus.

i got the instruction from Clahrinha (http://androidforums.com/asus-fonepad/733686-asus-fonepad-not-powering-up.html), just took it apart with credit card so that it may not damage it case. then unplug the battery connector and plug it back. put the back cover back and turn it on. There we go!

Very big thank to Clahrinha. (i did think so about disconnect the battery to be charged and put it back - see Ajaycheran - in my previous reply).

Cheers,
Chhorn Sophak

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames