Asus TF300T Will Not Charge

Just As I Am

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have an Asus TF300T and have had it for 6 months now. It has worked flawlessly.
I have lost the USB cable and AC adapter that came with it.

I bought another 6' cable from Amazon and plugged it into my computer. My computer recognizes the tablet. However, when I plug the same usb cable into a proven AC/USB plug and plugged it into the wall, the TF300T activates, but it does not show the little lightning bolt that tells me it is charging. I go into the battery program and it says it is not charging.

Ideas?

Note: I have not dropped or damaged this unit. It was charging perfectly when I had the original cable and ac adapter.

Here is an interest thing. I just plugged the TF300T into the keyboard I bought for it and plugged the USB cable into the keyboard. The widget shows that the TF300T is charging, but the keyboard is not.

Ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was the cable you brought from Amazon an official Asus cable, or from a 3rd party manufacturer? Not all cables work adequately for every device when it comes to charging. I've had similar experiences. My suggestion is to find an original Asus OEM USB cable.

And when you plugged the tablet into the dock, it makes sense that the tablet is charging, because it's drawing power from the dock. But the dock itself isn't charging because your cable isn't adequate.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you get a cable or charger from a 3rd party company, you always have to be cautious. They said it's compatible, and their design may very well be compatible, but the quality control might be suboptimal. The official ones are usually more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Here's one on eBay:

Genuine Asus Transformer AC USB Adapter USB Sync Cable TF101 TF201 TF300 TF300 | eBay

Search around eBay and Amazon. Look for cables that have the Asus logo on the flat connector. Also, if it comes with the piano-black charging block, you know it's genuine.

Broncho

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I have an Asus TF300T and have had it for 6 months now. It has worked flawlessly.
However, when I plug the same usb cable into a proven AC/USB plug and plugged it into the wall, the TF300T activates, but it does not show the little lightning bolt that tells me it is charging.

If the proven AC/USB plug worked for a phone it probably won't work on the Asus tablet. These tablets need a much higher Voltage and ma/A output to charge. I'm not home to check the output on my charger but I seem to remember they need at least 12 Watts (voltage x ma/A) to charge. Most AC/USB plugs for phones are only going to do about 5 watts (5 volts at 1 A(mp)). If you look at most of the standalone batter chargers they specifically say they won't work on Asus tablets because of this. Your best bet is to either buy another charger from Asus or see if you can find a charger that specifically says it will work with an Asus tablet.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I think you can find official cables on Amazon or eBay. Our eStore should have all the availble accessories for the TF300 too.

Martin Bryant

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the TF300T now and I bought a spare charger for this device. It's a 2.5amp four port charger and even with the original cable and nothing else plugged in, it won't charge. Have Asus done an Apple and put something in the charger so that it won't charge from anything else? I'm all for refusing to charge of a power supply that is under rated, but if they have made it so that it will only charge from Asus cables and chargers, then I think this is a seriously bad tactic. There is no excuse.Has anyone ever got the TF300T to charge of anything other than a genuine Asus charger?

I wonder if anyone has pulled one apart to see if there is a chip inside to nobble third party chargers?

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, if an Asus charger and a TF300T detect their mutual presence the charger will ups its actual 5V voltage to 12V or even to 15V.

Martin Bryant

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Extra fast charging is fine with me, but this doesn't answer the question of no charging at all from other, 2.5amp chargers. Anyone have evidence to show that a TF300T will charge from anything that doesn't have Asus written on it?

timelesspeter

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
HI,

I purchased The Asus Transformer TF300T back in February 2013. I lost my cable while I was on a trip. I first bought a cable from Amazon that claimed to be compatible with TF300's. When I receive this product, I plugged it in my tablet and the orange light came on. The following day the orange light was no longer there and notice that this particular charger had drained the remaining battery life that my tablet had... I then bought one from the Ebay (EE Pad Accessory). When I first plugged the device in the docking-system (detachable key board) the light turned on. The following day,the light was green on the side of the keyboard (thought that the tablet was finally charge). When I tried to turn on the tablet, nothing happened. and now when I plug it directly in the tablet, it doesn't even charge. I don't know where to go with this anymore. The product was amazing until it died on me. is there a way to test the product to see if the FIRST cable originally bought on Amazon over-heated or damaged my tablet? this is anoying because Amazon only gives a 30 day warranty... is there a way I can return the product to Asus since it has been less than a year and bought an additional charger at 50$ and cant even use the device anymore...

can anyone help me with this?

regards

Mysterybox

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I had to replace my cord a few months back. However, I skipped buying a third party cord. What I have found is that Office Depot stocks the whole unit (plug and cord). It cost $25-$30 (I do not remember total cost off hand), but was worth it knowing that it worked without flaw from the moment of first use.

As for charging from a computer. While I have found that I can use the USB cable to transfer data, the port doesn't supply enough power to charge it. While I believe may be true of many standard USB ports.

RazzleyDazzleyGuy

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I had taken my OEM ASUS adapter and cable to work and left it there for use during the daytime. So I needed another charger and cable at home. Plus I wanted a longer cable for use at home.
I had read all of the horror stories about the ASUS Transformer clone adapters but just could not bring myself to pay the premium to ASUS.

I found a six foot Transformer clone USB cable for $5 on Amazon. After research I purchased a Powergen Dual USB Port 2.4A 12W AC adapter,also on Amazon, for $10. It is designed specifically for Apple and Android tablets. I plugged my new 6' USB cable into the Port labeled "A" and then into my TF300 and it has worked like a charm ever since.

The one quirk that I did notice was that the tablet will only charge when it is either sleeping or turned off. I can leave it on and running for 15 minutes or an hour and the Battery charge % will not change at all. But turn it off for 10 minutes, when turned back on the charge will have jumped 2%. Similarly if I put it to sleep for 5 min the charge will jump up another percentage.

So I guess that the one comment made here on this forum, about the tablet and the power supply communicating may be correct. :cool::cool:

Borborygmus nut

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
A little late to the party but hey...

I have this problem and thought I might put down some thoughts in case anyone else comes across this. I often find forums a good source of info.

I have a Transformer TF300T with the corresponding keypad with internal battery pack. It stopped charging. That is when plugged into the wall outlet it no longer charged. Neither did it charge when the tablet was connected to the keypad and plugged into a USB port of my computer, however, when plugged directly into the tablet from the USB port on my laptop I did get some change into it but with no charge light or on screen indication. Probably a trickle charge. Below is my best guess as to what is happening.

It is important to understand a little about your electrical charging and how batteries charging work. Rechargable batteries have reversable chemical reaction that happens when discharging and recharging. Voltage relates to pressure so that when you use a battery it produces a certain pressure through the electrical circuit to make it work. There is a chemical process that takes place in the battery. To charge the battery you place a pressure in the opposite direction to the discharge which thereby reverses the chemical process so the battery becomes charged. The amount of voltage is important as to little pressure won't work ('wont turn the wheels') and to much will blow it up ('the wheels will blow up')... it will blow up!. Therefore when selecting a charger it is important to match the voltage of the old transformer with the voltage of the new transformer.

The current rating is also important but slightly different. The current relates to the amount of electricity that is going to be available. If your appliance needs 2A to run and your transformer can only supply 1A then you are going to have problems. Your transformer is probably going to stop working, might melt or the like. However if your transformer can supply 3 or 4A to a 2A appliance then you are going to have plenty of current, no problem. So when replacing a transformer or power supply you need to have at least the same of more of the current.

Match the Voltage Rating. Make sure you have at least the same or more of the Current.

The Asus transformer has a rating stamped on it of 5V 2A or 15V 1.2A. Because of the two ratings I am guessing that it has a variable output dependent on the level of the tablets batteries. 15V would charge the device quickly when it is in a low state and this would drop all the way down to 5V to trickle charge it when the device is mostly charged. The device will NOT trickle charge when plugged into the keypad to the tablet. The tablet will trickle charge when plugged into a USB port or in my case I picked up a transformer that is rated 5V 2.1A - an ipad transformer as it may - until I can get a proper replacement. I didn't use the other transformers I have around the house because they were all rate less than the 2A that the original is rated. There is no indication that the tablet is charging as the charging light and internal on screen indication must operate/function only when the normal charger is operating at a higher voltage and I am charging at 5V not 15V but at least I can get a charge into it even if at a slower rate.

I am currently trying to give the keypad a trickle charge but I don't think it will work because as we learnt above to charge a battery you supply a higher voltage - pressure - in the opposite direction to the discharge voltage. Since the keypad when working normally charges the tablet when plugged into it I am guessing that the keypad supplies a higher voltage to the tablet than the tablet itself. This voltage from the keypad will likely be the same as the 5V USB standard which means I am not supplying a voltage to it greater than the discharge so no chemical reaction in the opposite direction and therefore no charging. I will need to get a higher voltage supply transformer.

With regard to the interconnected cable. It is just a cable (guessing) Just a group of copper wires connected to a plug at each end. The number of strands in each cable dictate how flexible it is as more strands means the wires can slide over each other more easily thereby making it more flexible. There may be difference in the quality of the cable and connections and also the rating of the cable to cope with voltage and/or current but it is just a cable. You often only get what you pay for.

Hope this has helped.

P.S. I never turn my tablet off except when there is a problem or an update, so it is always instant on when I press the power button. The one indication I have to know that my tablet is charging (trickle charge) is that when I plug it in, to a USB that will charge or the new ipad transformer I bought, the screen lights up. It doesn't tell me it is charging but it does light the screen up from standby mode or sleep mode or whatever it is called. If it doesn't do this you might have other issues and I have typed all this for nothing.

Have a nice day anyway.

mtrmanathome

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
It is real nice to read about the battery not charging from someone that new what they were talking about. I did not post a question, but your article led
me to figure what was wrong. Thanks

alka1724

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issues, and no there are no chargers available at Asus's estore or Amazon/eBay. This was my worst investment as I bought this Transformer when it just came out. I already sent the unit once to Asus for smoke coming out of keyboard and they didn't find anything wrong. Whenever I try to use the tablet with keyboard, there is a burning smell. I was using it only as a tablet and now the charger won't work.

Martin Lissmats

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I want to reply as a future reference for other people searching for the same information.

This ASUS tablet and possibly others are mostly limited to not charge from unknown charges by software. You can charge them from almost any USB port in the following way. Have your tablet turned on. Connect your charging cable to a USB port. The screen will turn on, but the tablet is not charging. Hold the power button and turn off the tablet completely. While the tablet is off it will charge, but the charging indicator light will not turn on! The tablet is still charging. Leave it for many hours (maybe overnight) and it will have time enough to charge completely. As soon as you turn on the tablet it will stop charging. If you disconnect and connect the cable while the tablet is off it will automatically turn on and stop charging and you have to turn it off again.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Just bumped into this thread. Been using my tf300 for a couple years now as a tv monitor for Slingbox. Sits in my bathroom for watching live morning news. Will be a sad day when I finally need to retire this work horse! i also have the cool keyboard and all work perfect...if you can tolerate the laaaaag.