Should I stay, or should I go?

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Just got the Tf700 w/ dock yesterday, and it was awesome (never had a tablet before, have GNex). But, just saw that the Nexus 10 will be out soon.

Looking for opinions; do I keep the infinity or do I return it and wait for the Nexus 10?

Edit: I am keeping it

Last edited:

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
If you really need a keyboard/dock then the Infinity is the choice. The Nexus 10 has some impressive specs, at least as far as the screen resolution, But honestly, how much more can our eyes resolve anyway, beyond the Asus (or the iPad retina)? Asus infinity also offers the micro SD slot, which is great. I don't know if the Nexus 10 has that, so that might be something you want to wait and see. Also, if leaked specs are correct, the Asus' 8MP camera is better that the predicted 5MP on the Nexus. Again, something to wait and see for sure, if it's important to you. I suppose, overall, unless you're in a real hurry to get a tablet, might as well wait for the Nexus release and check all the specs.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I guess overall I'm gonna keep it, because of the dock, quality build, the camera is 8MP over 5MP (even though that doesn't really mean anything), quad-core vs dual-core (once again, means nothing. But, 4>2) and with the dock I can get much better battery life vs the Nexus 10. The infinity will be replacing my old laptop now, and even better, it's also a tablet.

JeffSlay

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I just bought the Infinity about a month ago, and I think I'm going to return it and get the Nexus 10. The Infinity is a nice tablet, but I was expecting more from a tablet with the specs that it has. It can be laggy and not as smooth as i would expect. Sometimes I think my GNex runs smoother. With the 2gb of ram, improved display, faster processor, pure Jelly Bean and updates directly from google, I'm sold on the 10. I'm not too concerned with the camera, since I don't use the tablet to take pics, or the lack of an SD card, since I keep my music in the cloud and don't keep more than a few movies on it at a time. Although the Infinity's keyboard dock is nice, especially with the additional battery power, its not something I use on a regular basis. I'm just glad I have the extended return policy at Best Buy.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I updated my Infinity to Jelly Bean the same day I got it. It was easy as could be, so that shouldn't be a factor when considering which to buy/keep. As for the camera, it's a matter of preference if you want to use a tablet for photos and videos. If you do, 8MP vs. 5MP does make a difference. As far as having the micro SD slot, true that you can keep media files in the cloud, however, for me, it's not worth paying for unlimited or very large data plan every month just to hear music or watch videos, etc. because around home it's all via wifi from my media server. And when I travel, it's just as easy to transfer media from my server to a memory card and insert it into the slot on the Infinity. It's really a matter of how you intend to use your tablet. Mine will also be replacing my laptop, so I'll be getting the keyboard/dock as well. Good luck with whichever you choose.

petefromphilly

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
For me the infinity dock is the difference. Battery life, and usb and sd card slot plus a keyboard, and that doubles as a nice stand. The nexus 10, while awesome on paper, won't have an accessory like that. Micro hdmi out is a plus, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Here are my thoughts/questions. the 3 key things I see on the Nexus 10 that I would want on the Transformer Infinity are
  1. Miracast
  2. multi-user support
  3. stock android

Now Obviously # 3 just isn't going to happen. I have no idea if the Infinity is Miracast capable. Which leaves Multi-User. My under standing is Muiti-user is part of the next release of JB. Do peopel think Asus will release this for the infinity?

petefromphilly

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The question is: will Asus release 4.2 for the Infinity? Asus is about the best OEM at updating and I'd suspect they'd like to get those features in the transformer line. multiple users and Miracast would be nice additional selling points.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Here are my thoughts/questions. the 3 key things I see on the Nexus 10 that I would want on the Transformer Infinity are
  1. Miracast
  2. multi-user support
  3. stock android

Now Obviously # 3 just isn't going to happen. I have no idea if the Infinity is Miracast capable. Which leaves Multi-User. My under standing is Muiti-user is part of the next release of JB. Do peopel think Asus will release this for the infinity?

I'd virtually guarantee that we'll get 4.2 and therefore multi-user support. No OEM has been anywhere near as good as Asus when it comes to providing timely firmware updates.

Stock Android is going to happen, but I find the Asus TF700 to be about as close to stock as you get.

Miracast is an interesting possibility. nVidia has indicated that the Tegra 3 will support it. Android 4.2 will support it. But it also requires a subset of Wifi Direct, which the TF700 doesn't currently support, although it did in a previous release of Android (I believe it was disabled with the TF700 Jelly Bean ROM). My gut feeling is that there's at least a 50/50 chance of Miracast showing up in the TF700, and that Asus removed Wifi Direct from 4.1 as a precursor to Miracast in 4.2. But even if it is not, I hear that there will be Miracast USB adapters, so that might be an option.

Obviously I can't speak for you, but I have 3 HDTVs in my house and none of them support Miracast, or Wifi Direct, or anything more advanced than an HDMI connection for video. None of them are likely to be upgraded or replaced in the next few years, so not only would lack of Miracast not be a dealbreaker, but it wouldn't even come under consideration. By the time I have a display that supports it I will have upgraded my tablet at least once, maybe twice. :)

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
If by 'stock android' you mean lacking in bloatware, then I think ASUS has done well in this area with the infinity so maybe one of the best we can look for. I don't know a lot about miracast, but how is it different from MyNet, which is already on the infinity? I use it all the time to play media from my server (Mezzmo on my PC) to my tablet, as well as the smartphones and TV's. I can also play from the tablet to the other devices, or use the tablet as a 'remote control' to play from the media server to the TV, etc. I just installed the latest firmware update, and there is a noticeably improved performance. There will always be 'something better' coming along...........that's how technology rolls these days. (Look at how upset some people are that they bought the "New iPad" (3rd gen) just a few months ago, and now see Apple bringing forth the 4th generation, with improved specs, and at the same price! But overall I think the infinity is a great choice.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Indeed it is a great choice, and I'm thinking that ASUS will be bringing all the features to this tablet in a timely manner (as they have before). And, if they don't, there is always the root/rom option to get the "latest and greatest" features. Plus, the big thing the Nexus 10 is missing is that wonderful keyboard dock (which I am using now). The TF700 is still a great option.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Obviously I can't speak for you, but I have 3 HDTVs in my house and none of them support Miracast, or Wifi Direct, or anything more advanced than an HDMI connection for video. None of them are likely to be upgraded or replaced in the next few years, so not only would lack of Miracast not be a dealbreaker, but it wouldn't even come under consideration. By the time I have a display that supports it I will have upgraded my tablet at least once, maybe twice. :)

My TVs are not miracast capable either. however I figure one of these NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter PTV3000-100NAS - Best Buy
NETGEAR - Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter

Enables wireless display of laptop, tablet or mobile phone visuals on an HDTV; compatible with most devices with Intel? WiDi or Miracast wireless display capability; 1080p resolution support; compact design.

I have kids and dogs so cable free is is the way for me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38