Terrible Battery Drain on the ASUS Transformer Pad TF701

jon421

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have given up trying to solve this on my own and have put a support call in to Asus.

i think we all need to put some pressure on Asus to get this fixed - having our tablets cooking on idle is a serious problem.

urban75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have given up trying to solve this on my own and have put a support call in to Asus.

i think we all need to put some pressure on Asus to get this fixed - having our tablets cooking on idle is a serious problem.

Having the exact same thing here - I'll also send in a support email to Asus.

urban75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got the stupidest of responses from Asus who seem to think it's because the battery suddenly needs to be changed for a third party one. I incuded a link to this thead which they clearly didn't bother reading.

Very disappointing.

luxx-sn

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue.
I tried the factory reset and it helps and batery stays alive for a long time without tramendous changes.
But if you get into any Google App and update it that's when problem starts.

upd
I found a topic with some progress (i can not post a link to it so just posting a quotes)

"Quote Originally Posted by ndompierre View Post
It seems to be an issue with Google Play Services 6.5.87, published december 12.
Uninstalling it resolved my problem, will try the version 6.5.99 tonight."

and later.

"Google play services is not the root cause of my battery problem, the battery started to deplet in the middle of the night. I removed all updates to the GApps to make a test. After a factory reset everything went fine, the prblem appears with all the GApps updates. As you can see, the battery start to deplet itself after about 3 hours..."

Last edited:

stokking

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I did the factory reset also, and did not update any application, not one from Google or otherwise. Still, the problem came back within 2 days or so, clearly some update must have been running in the background or something. Luxx-sn, the other topic you quote, can you post a link to it, I cannot seem to find it.

NovusOrigine

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue.
upd
I found a topic with some progress (i can not post a link to it so just posting a quotes)

"Quote Originally Posted by ndompierre View Post
It seems to be an issue with Google Play Services 6.5.87, published december 12.
Uninstalling it resolved my problem, will try the version 6.5.99 tonight."
Nice catch; it seems Google Play Services are indeed involved. At a guess, a service is keeping some device open, preventing nvavp from stopping and blocking the tablet from suspending. That goes some way to answering why nvavp is busy.

Simply downgrading Google Play Services to the Asus-provided factory version (5.0.89) and rebooting seems to have allowed my tablet to suspend properly. In fact, I had to wake it up to open the debug connection I used to collect the following files (after letting the tablet sleep for about 5 minutes):

/sys/kernel/debug/suspend_stats:
Code:
success: 18                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
fail: 5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
failed_freeze: 4                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
failed_prepare: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
failed_suspend: 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
failed_suspend_late: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
failed_suspend_noirq: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                
failed_resume: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
failed_resume_early: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
failed_resume_noirq: 0                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
failures:                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  last_failed_dev:                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

last_failed_errno:    -16                                                                                                                                                                                                            
                        -16                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  last_failed_step:     freeze                                                                                                                                                                                                         
                        freeze

/sys/kernel/debug/suspend_time:
Code:
time (secs)  count
------------------
   0 -    1    1
   1 -    2    2
   2 -    4    3
   4 -    8    2
  16 -   32    7
  64 -  128    2
 128 -  256    1
This looks quite promising (it's clearly spending several minutes at a time properly suspended), so I think I'll give it a full charge and see what happens overnight.

Downgrading Google Play Services has a few side effects, although the only affected applications I've found so far are Google Play Music and Hangouts, neither of which I actually use.

bueblehell

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I've found the forum here at androidcentral due to the aforementioned TF701t battery problems.
To be honest I've been cursing the day I've bought the device in the first place since the very first minute of having it. After paying a price higher than that of an iPad it didn't work correctly even for a day... It had already been sent to service three times (!) due to motherboard, screen and battery problems. Since a few months I thought it would finally work (apart from occasionaly bad connectivity with the dock), but well, as I'm here you'd guess I also have exact the same problems with the battery.
Since about two weeks the tablet started to drain the battery exactly as all of you describe. I also had severeal peaks to 100% battery without even touching the tablet. After a complete load in the evening the battery will be down to zero in the morning. Android OS is using allmost all the battery, also with wifi turned off.
I've performed two factory resets, without recovering my backups or installing new apps. I can confirm that in the first few hours the battery usage seems to be normal, but as soon as apps get auto-updated the battery drain begins anew...

S Bull

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been suffering the same issues with battery drain, updated Google play services to 6.5.99 and so far no standby battery drain I was losing 8% an hour... fingers crossed it works long term

NovusOrigine

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Downgrading Google Play Services as I describe above also seems to work around the battery drain issue; leaving the tablet unplugged and in sleep mode with wifi on overnight (7.5 h) merely brought it down to 99 %. :D

Ron Gillick

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I was going to try a reset to Factory Settings but won't bother now. I also see a spike up to 100% on the graph and have no idea how that can happen.

Can anyone please tell me the phone number to ring ASUS to complain?

ColdMist

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I looked up the Google Play Store, and it had 2 separate process groups listed as running. The one had 5-6 sub-processes, while the other one only had GoogleAnalytics (or close to that). I figured it was the two different groups fighting between themselves, etc. I killed the GoogleAnalytics one, and my CPU usage instantly dropped down to nothing from being at ~80% constantly before that. FYI

urban75

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Probably a daft question, but how do I roll back to an earlier version of Google Play?

I'm really miffed off about this: unless I keep my TF701 plugged in all the time it's dead in the morning.

Edit: I rolled it back to v5.1.1. and will see what happens now.

stokking

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Good one, the Google Play Services. I've uninstalled the update, and now my battery drain is gone (tested today for about 9 hours when I went for work).

So, thank you all for the help. I'm still having the call-thing with Asus, hope they follow up on this more exact information. Still a weird problem, and running with an old version of Google Play Services does not seem ok to me.

jon421

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I got a reply from Asus support. In summary: Do a full factory reset, If this does not work then return the tablet to Asus for service.

1. I did a full factory reset, accepted all defaults and allowed all the apps to automatically update. This did NOT fix the problem.

2. I did another factory reset but disabled network locating and did not allow any apps to update. I can say with 100% certainty that my tablet is no longer draining the battery in idle.

I have reported this back to Asus and asked if my tablet should still be returned for service.

Can any one else confirm these results?

cxykitty

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I got a reply from Asus support. In summary: Do a full factory reset, If this does not work then return the tablet to Asus for service.

1. I did a full factory reset, accepted all defaults and allowed all the apps to automatically update. This did NOT fix the problem.

2. I did another factory reset but disabled network locating and did not allow any apps to update. I can say with 100% certainty that my tablet is no longer draining the battery in idle.

I have reported this back to Asus and asked if my tablet should still be returned for service.

Exactly the same thing here. But I am sending my tablet for RMA anyway because of its malfunctioning power button. :(

luxx-sn

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site

I got the same.
I'm planing to spend some time with updating G'apps one by one to check if all of those causing battery drain or it's only one.

UPD
Google services 5.0.89 (1307510-036)
Gmail 4.9 (1271612)
Hangouts2.1.317 (1328022-30)
- no drain so far

Last edited:

cxykitty

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I got the same.
I'm planing to spend some time with updating G'apps one by one to check if all of those causing battery drain or it's only one.

UPD
Google services 5.0.89 (1307510-036)
Gmail 4.9 (1271612)
Hangouts2.1.317 (1328022-30)
- no drain so far

I actually tried updating all the G'apps while keeping Google Play Services at factory configured version (5.0.89). I don't see battery drain. It all starts after the Google Play Services gets updated. However, without the google play services updated, none of the G'apps actually works. Trying to open them just prompted the google play services need to be updated. And if the notification of Google Play Service is on, the alerts keeps popping up saying some G'app needs the google play services to be updated.

I am having a very sticky power button which make it very difficult for me to turn the tablet on/off or reboot it, which in turns causing trouble on this battery troubleshoot. I am sending it for service today. I don't really expect the battery issue will be fixed along with the power button. But by the time I get it back, hopefully you guys have figured something out, or there will be a system update to fix the issue.